Appian Overview

Appian is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Low-Code Development Platforms. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: Appian vs ServiceNow

What is Appian?
With Appian, your organization can rapidly build, deploy, use, and scale problem-solving apps. And with the flexibility of on-premises and cloud portability, you'll always address your unique challenges the way that makes the most sense for you.

Appian is also known as Appian BPM, Appian AnyWhere, Appian Enterprise BPMS.

Appian Buyer's Guide

Download the Appian Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Appian Customers
Hansard Global plc, Punch Taverns, Pirelli, Crawford & Company, EDP Renewables, Queensland Government Department of State Development, Infrastructure and Planning (, Bank of Tennessee
Appian Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Appian pricing:
  • "The solution offers a monthly subscription model. That's what we use. I recall it being about $90 a month. They do have different tiers."
  • "The licensing will be on a monthly basis. We are estimating that cost to be around $2000 to maybe $3,000 per month. We don't foresee any costs above that."
  • "It's an enterprise tool and can be used by enterprise only. So it's a very expensive tool."
  • "The cost depends on the number of users, although I recommend taking an unlimited license."

Appian Reviews

reviewer1398105
Appian Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Aug 6, 2020
Offers flexible local integration that we have used extensively to integrate with our Legacy system

What is our primary use case?

We use Appian for client on-boarding, anything onboard related, really: loading institutional clients, tracking that information in a single reporter, doing the follow-up, creating the plan parables for them, and developing for them. In my organization, there are about 150 users who are currently using Appian on a daily basis. We use Appian very extensively. Every day, there are more than 100 unique logins to the system.

• "Appian also has very flexible local integration."
  • "They should provide more flexibility so designers can create a more picture perfect device."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Appian. It has come a long way and it's a good product. It's entering into the area of a local application development platform. Appian is continuously making product updates every quarter. I would give Appian a rating of nine out of ten.
reviewer1358715
Deputy Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jul 30, 2020
Flexible, easy to set up, and simple to integrate with other applications

What is our primary use case?

Our plan on using the solution will be to basically utilize it for business process management, and for case management as well. We want to use their local platform offering and some of their niche markets, to see how they can provide dynamic case management all in one place.

• "We appreciate the drag and drop functionality and the easy to access plug and play features."
  • "The solution could use some more tutorials to help brand new users figure out how to use the product effectively."

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with Appian. We're just customers. We're most likely using the latest version of the solution. I would definitely recommend the solution and invite other companies to try it out. They even have the trial edition. That way, you can test the solution before having to purchase the application edition. If you decide to go forward, it is $90 per user per month. They have the enterprise edition as well which is a bit more. The solution is that it's available on different devices as well, which makes it very flexible and easily adaptable to a lot of different…
Learn what your peers think about Appian. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,058 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Abubakar AL Seed
IT Senior General Manager at Abdul Latif Jameel
Oct 7, 2020
Workflow engines work extremely well to bridge the gaps of processes within our core systems

What is our primary use case?

I work for the largest distributor of Toyota Lexus in the Middle East. My area is related to car motors. I'm an IT senior general manager and we are customers of Appian.

• "Good workflow engines that bridge the gaps of processes."
  • "Lacks integration with other products."

What other advice do I have?

The product needs to be supported by top management for it to work. This is one of the things that we faced at the very beginning. Second, from a technical point of view, you need to have a dedicated team taking care of this from a product management point of view, not necessarily from a technical point of view because that can be outsourced. I recommend not doing the development in-house, rather to outsource it with one or two partners and the corporate team. I recommend going for the full cloud-based solution architecture rather than having part of it inside and part of it outside. If there…
reviewer1475019
Director of national processing at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 5, 2021
Easy to set up with satisfactory stability and potentially will scale well

• "The initial setup was seamless. We didn't run into any hardships at all."
  • "I would like to see more complete university tools. For example, with UiPath, I have had a good experience related to a free course in order to provide some users some different levels of knowledge. This extra training helps users not only use the solution but to develop further within the tool."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a relationship with the company. Currently, we are in the middle of a test pilot. We have about 20 users experimenting with the solution as we speak. I would recommend the solution to others. However, I would advise them to measure the requirements associated with the complexity of implementation related to how much coding they need, how complex their interactions will be. These variables may be factors when choosing which tool to use. I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
reviewer1484889
Manager Software Projects at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 24, 2021
Good interface with easy integration capabilities and a helpful mobile app

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for office automation purposes.

• "The product has a very good mobile app."
  • "We have clients that want to use Office 365, Microsoft Analytics, and Power Apps. Appian just isn't the same as using something specifically designed to cater to the Microsoft Suite."

What other advice do I have?

We are Appian integration partners. We have multiple clients using Appian, although some want to move over to Microsoft. I would recommend the solution. It's quite easy to use, and the drag-and-drop functionality is great. For example, we have database records, and therefore we can easily pull the data from the database and connect and run the process. It's very easy when it's compared to previous versions. One thing to note, however, is that we do have a lot of memory. The memory has to be maintained and managed properly, otherwise, the system performance will come down. I would rate the…
HimanshuTejwani
System administrator and devops engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 8, 2020
The UI and its performance are very nice

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using the latest version. We are a low-code platform. Using this product we can easily deploy a process. It will easily create a business process in the minimum time and the minimum effort. It's easy to manage the Business Process Management (BPM) tool. We are Appian partners.

• "In terms of interface, it's very good. In terms of infrastructure, it's amazing and already using multiple tools behind the scenes. It's a low-code platform, so it's very easy to implement."
  • "It is also not easy to learn. Training tutorials could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

If anyone has to work on a BPM, then it's the best tool, and it's currently the market leader in terms of BPM in our country. In the BPM category, I will rate 10 out of 10 for this product.
Uriel Zamora
Technical Service Advisor at PPG Industries
Jul 10, 2019
Quickly develop applications for end-to-end process automation

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution because End-to-End Process Automation in Appian is robust and scalable. Thousands of process instances can run concurrently. Apart from that, development is fast for process and workflow automation when the developers are experienced, and the code can be reusable.

• "Process culture is making noise inside the organization because now, everybody knows that their time is being monitored."
  • "The documentation needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

In general, Appian is a great competitor in process automation. However, in my opinion, compared with IBM they lack documentation, development methodology guides (scrum is not enough for BPM adoption) organizational change management is a prerequisite for any BPM journey, real examples like IBM Redbooks, the academy is great I think that more real business cases would be better, webinars etc In my opinion, it is not good to let developers design their own business database. Normally, they are not experienced at this. Perhaps for mid-size business, there is no problem, but when you have a big…
Paul Parisi
Enterprise Architect at Mobiliser
Nov 2, 2020
Fast to build simple to medium complexity solutions

What is our primary use case?

Process Automation and Forms Digitisation, implementation of organisational wide processes rather than use of COTS.

• "Form building capabilities and well thought out process modelling are key points to this product."
  • "Authoring tool is slow to use resulted in limitations on how quickly solutions can be built."

What other advice do I have?

Compare this product closely to open source options, IBM and Pega. For simple solutions using simple models Appian may be sufficient and would provide better ROI than investing in building a team to support a more complex tool but for complex models I'd look for a stronger tool-set.
See 2 more Appian Reviews