IBM Kenexa Review

By configuring through Workbench, you can manipulate the candidate experience to be something that candidates like and allows them to apply easily.

Valuable Features

Great value and flexibility in an ATS, mainly through the automation and the configuration through Workbench you can do to manipulate the candidate experience to really be something that candidates like and allows them to apply to your site easily and put them in a pipeline for recruiters to access and move through a process and get somebody hired.

Improvements to My Organization

We've really used Kenexa to, at this point, look at the application process, make sure that it is as clean as possible and be able to get that time down, so candidates don't walk away from the experience, as well as automate a lot of things for recruiters, administrators, all those types of folks, so they aren't having to do manual tasks. The system is really doing that for them.

Room for Improvement

I think IBM is working with a lot of analytical tools and with Watson and analytics, diagnosing system pain points, problems, queues, those types of issues to enhance the system. I really like the roadmap where they’re going. Also, the enhancements they are doing to gateway questionnaires, those types of things, to improve the mobile process is really good, things that we're trying to implement at T-Mobile.

I think there is some administrative things that could be easier in terms of Workbench and streamlining that process; configuration of different things. I think the overall experience is great. Branding is something that I think can always be worked on. It seems to be really hard on the marketing side to keep up, to be honest with you, but I think overall in terms of an ATS, it's a great tool. There's a few things there that could always be improved with anybody. It's really hard to give a perfect rating.

We have great up-time with Kenexa. I've used some of the competitors before. I hadn't had that experience. We've had really great up-time with that. A lot of our questions are answered within a reasonable time.

Scalability with Kenexa is very easily done. For us, we have three administrators that serve over 100 recruiters, 30 recruiting co-coordinators, multiple managers on top of that; talent acquisition staff of about 150 people. We've actually taken some implementation. We have an email box where we get system issue questions, problems, troubleshooting, learning all those types of questions from folks. We originally started with implementation of over 1,000 emails a month. Now we're down to 200 or 300 emails a month, and that's I think contributed to the scalability of Kenexa because we can put everything in place and allow just a few folks with an email box doing enhancements, those types of things, to make the system work and run for everybody.

I think technical support is really good. You definitely have to give them the right information to go ahead and get the problem solved, to get the questions answered, those types of things. I think people are very willing to help and once you learn what they need, it's not a problem.

It wasn't really my choice to choose Kenexa, but I was very happy when we did because of the experience I had with those competitors.

I was not involved in the initial setup. I was hired post-implementation to go ahead and help with some of that.

Other Advice

Think about what your business needs, talk to your customers. What do your customers want? Do process mapping, do some Lean Six Sigma sessions with those customers and really find out what the core needs are. Then provide those to the customer. Kenexa may not be the option you want based on those needs, but I think it's very likely that it could be.

I think stability is an important criteria when selecting a vendor to work with. How long have they been around? Who do they work with? You don't want to get somebody on their first shop or their first job. You really would like to have somebody else be the guinea pig. The vendor should have that experience, so you need something there for that.

I think Kenexa's history, along with IBM, is a great point for them on that. Then you need somebody that does the work. You need them in the presentation to be able to really look at your business requirements that you give in the RFP, be able to answer those questions thoughtfully and correctly, and provide some information for you to make a decision on that product based on what they can do for you.