IBM MaaS360 Review

Scalable and uses distribution groups to deploy apps but needs live technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our organization's phones and iPads.

We use the solution for locking down the phone. If it gets lost or stolen, we deploy apps. We have an internal app that will be deployed. It's connected to Apple DEP VPP, and we do document deployments through it as well.

What is most valuable?

Maas360 uses distribution groups to deploy apps, which makes it a bit easier than, for example, Intune.

What needs improvement?

Overall, I haven't been happy with it.

Their licensing platform is absolutely awful. We've got locked out of our own account several times and that just has put a bad taste in my mouth.

The initial setup is not exactly straightforward.

There have been some changes in its software. The portal, for example, has changed. One nuisance feature is that, when you login, you have to always press enter, which is annoying. With most sites, you just click on the login and you go. With this portal, you have to specifically hit enter.

The solution needs to offer live technical support. Right now, it's just a chat window and it's rather unhelpful.

I've been using this solution for about six years. It's been a while. We have some good experience with it.

The solution is scalable. A company shouldn't have any issues in that regard.

We use the solution on about 600 different devices across the organization. Everyone from sales and distribution to the president of the company uses it.

The only way you can get technical support is through a chat window. They weren't exactly friendly. I wouldn't say that we have been happy with technical support.

I wasn't aware of anything being used previously to this solution.

Anything you set up is going to be a bit challenging. However, this was not straightforward per se. It's not cut and dry. You have the rules and regulations on everything that you have to contend with.

I didn't handle the initial implementation. I took it over after the fact.

The initial setup was handled in-house. The company did not require the assistance of consultants or integrators.

We are charged on a monthly basis. It's my understanding that the pricing is the same as or similar to Intune. If we do switch over, the pricing will be pretty much the same.

With IBM, you had to have a certain type of license inside of Microsoft for it to work, however, I don't have too much detail on that.

We are also looking into Intune. The one thing I did notice with Maas360 versus Intune was that Maas360 uses distribution groups to deploy apps. Intune does not have that. With Intune, you have to use security groups. That's causing us a little headache that we've got to get around.

I'm getting my feet wet on it right now. I'm beginning to learn how to use it. We're in the POC stage.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

The solution is deployed onto the actual device itself.

I wouldn't recommend the solution. We're pretty much working to move off of it. We haven't been too happy with the solution in general. How it was described to us ultimately wasn't how it worked.

Overall, I would rate it at a six out of ten.

More IBM MaaS360 reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Microsoft Intune
Learn what your peers think about IBM MaaS360. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.