IBM MaaS360 Review

BYOD users are required to register before we allow connection, but while our setup was pretty vanilla, we had a few minor issues with the deployment.

Valuable Features:

For our environment, we needed a way to separate corporate and personal data on iOS and Android devices as part of our bring-your-own-device policy.

Improvements to My Organization:

Users are required to enroll their device with MaaS360 before we allow their ActiveSync device to connect, which is good for the IT department.

It also allows us to push out an icon for our intranet portal via the Enterprise Gateway which users have found helpful.

Deployment Issues:

We really only had minor issues with the deployment, our setup was pretty vanilla. The integration of Contacts into the Secure Mail app was the most troublesome but that has since been resolved in a later release.

Fiberlink’s customer support is great, very responsive to inquiries and very helpful.

Initial Setup:

It’s a cloud-based solution and the setup was really easy, just plug in your policy requirements, allow LDAP through the firewall and that’s pretty much all we needed.

Implementation Team:

Implementation was through a vendor team with guidance from in-house engineers.

Other Solutions Considered:

Originally, we had deployed MobileIron and had a proof of concept configured but at the end of the day we went with MaaS360 because it had a friendlier UI. I liked MobileIron’s Sentry capability which blocked non-enrolled devices from even getting inside the network but using MaaS and ActiveSync policies we are at least able to stop them from getting mail configured.

Other Advice:

Overall the platform works as advertised and was set up with a minimum degree of difficulty.