Marketo Review
The ability to build and automate complex scenarios is valuable.

Valuable Features:

Marketo makes it easy to stay in contact with our base of customers, prospective customers, and partners. The ability to quickly build and automate complex scenarios, create dynamic lists, and analyze campaign results is invaluable.

Room for Improvement:

With the increasing sophistication of anti-phishing and filtering software, we have seen a number of messages that return link clicks – even though links were not actually clicked.  A simple indicator of this, is when Marketo analytics show that every individual at a particular company has clicked on a link (usually the same one) in an email.  These “phantom clicks” can make it difficult to estimate the effectiveness of a particular email or piece of content.

This issue has been discussed extensively in the Marketo community, and the larger ESP community as well.  While there are several temporary works arounds, I would like to see a more proactive attempt at a long-term solution.  I do recognize that this problem is not limited to Marketo, and it certainly has not been a deal-breaker for our continued use of the platform.

Use of Solution:

Three years

Deployment Issues:

I joined the organization after deployment, but am told it was a relatively smooth process. As with any automation solution, the real hurdle isn't in the deployment, it's in optimizing processes to take advantage of the product's unique capabilities.

Stability Issues:

Marketo is a solid automation platform with fantastic stability.

Scalability Issues:

The scalability of the solution is virtually unmatched. We've expanded our operations (and database) greatly over the past few years without a hitch.

Customer service is prompt, friendly, and generally helpful.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing:

Pricing depends on the size of your database and feature set.  Our experience with the renewal process has been frustrating.  Marketo bakes a substantial price increase into each contract which has required renegotiation every year.

2 Comments

Lea GoldbergerCommunity MgrTOP 10

Did you find their pricing suitable for what you're getting from it?

Like (0)04 June 17
Mark BeebeReal User

There are certainly more budget-friendly platforms out there, but the pricing is within the range of what I would expect for an enterprise solution. The renewal process has proven challenging. We've had a new rep every year, and Marketo generally requests a substantial price increase.

Like (0)05 June 17