SharePoint Review

Integration with Outlook could be more stable, but MS Dynamics integration is a key feature.

What is most valuable?

• Office integration
  • Collaboration
  • Discussions
  • Shared documents
  • MS Dynamics integration
  • Tasks
  • Schedule project integration
  • Subscriptions

How has it helped my organization?

It's allowed automatic distribution of technical updates to shop floor technicians in the FABs.

What needs improvement?

• Cloud and Office 365 integration with Outlook could be more stable, and an external company collaborator’s connections can be iffy.
  • Custom site provisioning and management
  • Migration from On-Premise to the Cloud has no automation tools to help in migrating the enterprise content, and so this requires throttling the bandwidth to guard against attack.
  • New application models are too complex - in Office365 you are sharing the whole SP farm with all Microsoft customers in a region so fixes take too long.
  • Deploying apps in some cases have limitations because you have no access to the admin console.

I've been using SharePoint since its initial release, including Office365, On-Line 2013, and On-Premise 2013. In total, it's been 15 years, and I was involved in the initial SharePoint Pilot test.

Getting customers to see it as the de facto repository for collaboration data takes serious investment in training and executive backing. Upgrades and migration are challenging.

Occasional Office365 SharePoint outages have been noted.

No issues encountered.

It's poor, and if you want Microsoft support on SharePoint you have to hire Microsoft Consulting Services.

We used various methods to achieve the same results shared folders and third party document management solutions, e.g. Documentum.

It's complex because you must spend significant time determining roles and train accordingly, or else it becomes an unstructured dumping ground for everyone’s files.

I've done it both ways, and Microsoft Consulting Services is well equipped to properly implement SharePoint.

It's very high, I can't disclose exact figures, but it's a seven-figure number.

Use enterprise pricing as a part of Office 365.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Budget enough design and training dollars to seed your enterprise with certified electronic workers that can provide thought leadership, mentoring and set standards for use.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Microsoft partners
More SharePoint reviews from users