SharePoint Review

You can assign permissions, create user groups, and automate workflows. I would like to see a more intuitive way to assign permissions.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility to create customized lists and folders
  • Ability to assign permissions
  • Ability to create user groups and automated workflows
  • Easy to use
  • Provides flexibility to create separate user groups with specific read, write, and access for certain folders
  • Ability to restrict access: Prevents the vendors from touching our master files

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed my team to seamlessly share requirements with one another and provide feedback while working off one version. It is a one-stop shop for all our project documents.

We are currently working with two different vendors (one from Europe and one from India). We used SharePoint as a central workspace where the different groups can upload their files respectively without restriction. They can also have a central folder where RBC and vendors can edit simultaneously.

What needs improvement?

For this version, assigning permissions should be more intuitive.

An improved user interface would be beneficial. Achieving our goals in a multi-vendor project was not an easy task because of the 2010 UI.

I’m not sure if SharePoint 2013 makes it easier to assign specific access for folders. I found a lot of help online that was mostly for 2013.

We should have the ability to create customized permissions for user groups much easier than it is today. For example, being able to specify which lists and folders a group can access. In 2010, there is no easy way to do this.

I have used SharePoint for about two years now.

I did not have any stability issues.

I did not have any scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

I have always used Microsoft SharePoint for my projects.

We have an excellent onboarding process that our IT team put together, so setup was not particularly complex.

I was not involved in this process.

What other advice do I have?

Look at scalability and stability and see whether the features of the product really meet the needs of your organization.