SharePoint Review

We like the synergy with other applications in the MS Office suite.

What is most valuable?

Synergy with other applications in the MS Office suite. For example, with a single click from the MS Lync client, you can create an email in the Outlook client and vice-versa, amongst many other similar integrations between applications that previously did not speak to one another.

How has it helped my organization?

Collaboration became a lot easier. Meetings happened more frequently between colleagues across different locations sitting at their desks and not in special video conference rooms.

What needs improvement?

Better mobile optimization and a similar experience level across device types (desktop, tablet and phones). For most applications, MS SharePoint included, users are treated to different experiences across devices. For example, Excel works slightly differently (has fewer features/capabilities) on mobile when compared to the desktop experience. It would be nice to close this gap as much as possible, such that a user may have no qualms transiting between devices.

I have been using SharePoint for over four years.

We did not have any stability issues.

We did not have any scalability issues. It is as easy as adding new licenses for new users.

Technical support was not as good as expected. Sometimes request took upwards of three business days.

We used several single purpose software tools for each area of our need. We switched to MS SharePoint/Office 365 for a number of reasons, including: the seamless integration between the many apps in the suite; colleagues (users) are familiar with the MS office interface from Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint and that shortens the learning curve considerably.

Setup was straightforward.

For non-profits, seek out non-profit licensing.

We evaluated eleven others.

What other advice do I have?

It’s the best in the class, but make sure your existing solution doesn't already meet your needs before making the decision to go the MS SharePoint route.