SharePoint Review

Exposes data for real-time reporting as well as point-in-time views.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• MS Office Web Apps allow anywhere/anytime access to the apps used, most often for documents.
  • The collaboration feature allows multiple people to read and edit documents simultaneously.
  • The list feature makes it easy to integrate database information into the same place as documents. It allows exposing of that data to create reports and views within the site for real-time reporting as well as point-in-time views. This is extremely useful.

How has it helped my organization?

We created a hang management system with a simple list including views and reports, instead of purchasing a bloated application. We created inventory tracking in the same way.

Instead of switching, this has kept all the information in one place and within one application. It allows easy data exports into other applications.

What needs improvement?

Latest versions of this product have addressed the functionality issue on non-Windows devices.

I have used this solution for five years.

Occasionally, the SQL database backend would have issues to address regarding maintenance.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

Microsoft provided excellent support.

Prior to this product, I have not used any other solution.

The initial setup was somewhat complex. To get the best results, a farm configuration was needed and many additional components are required to have all the features fully functional.

If possible, consider using what Microsoft offers in Office 365 as it includes all those features plus email. For a smaller organization, it makes a lot of sense and Microsoft will still manage the environment.

We have not evaluated other options.

What other advice do I have?

Try the Microsoft Cloud Services first and implement on-premise only if you really need to.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
author avatarUser
User

Interesting, I can't wait to dip my feet into SharePoint!

author avatarHead of Knowledge Management with 501-1,000 employees
User

This says version 2010, but sounds more like 2013 or 2016?