Microsoft 400x400

SharePoint Review
Exposes data for real-time reporting as well as point-in-time views.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features are:

• MS Office Web Apps allow anywhere/anytime access to the apps used, most often for documents.
  • The collaboration feature allows multiple people to read and edit documents simultaneously.
  • The list feature makes it easy to integrate database information into the same place as documents. It allows exposing of that data to create reports and views within the site for real-time reporting as well as point-in-time views. This is extremely useful.

Improvements to My Organization:

We created a hang management system with a simple list including views and reports, instead of purchasing a bloated application. We created inventory tracking in the same way.

Instead of switching, this has kept all the information in one place and within one application. It allows easy data exports into other applications.

Room for Improvement:

Latest versions of this product have addressed the functionality issue on non-Windows devices.

Use of Solution:

I have used this solution for five years.

Stability Issues:

Occasionally, the SQL database backend would have issues to address regarding maintenance.

Scalability Issues:

I have not encountered any stability issues.

Microsoft provided excellent support.

Previous Solutions:

Prior to this product, I have not used any other solution.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was somewhat complex. To get the best results, a farm configuration was needed and many additional components are required to have all the features fully functional.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

If possible, consider using what Microsoft offers in Office 365 as it includes all those features plus email. For a smaller organization, it makes a lot of sense and Microsoft will still manage the environment.

Other Solutions Considered:

We have not evaluated other options.

Other Advice:

Try the Microsoft Cloud Services first and implement on-premise only if you really need to.

1 visitor found this review helpful

2 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Interesting, I can't wait to dip my feet into SharePoint!

Like (0)06 January 17
Anonymous avatar x30

This says version 2010, but sounds more like 2013 or 2016?

Like (0)18 January 17
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About SharePoint?

Our experts can help. 233,932 professionals have used our research on 5,900 solutions.