Spiceworks Review
As a centralized helpdesk solution, it's been a huge success for our account and IT managers in tracking open tickets, but I need a more powerful reporting tool.

What is most valuable?

Help Desk, Inventory, Purchases, Reports

How has it helped my organization?

We are a IT consulting firm for several companies and implemented SpiceWorks for a centralized help desk solution. Now each customer can submit a help desk ticket, it then is routed to a technician who then contacts the customer. We copy the customer, lead technician, and the account manager to not only close the communication gaps but to hold everyone responsible.

Reporting has been a huge success for our account managers on open tickets, for our IT manager on inventory, time spent on tickets and purchases for our invoicing, and etc.

Purchasing has also been very helpful keeping track of our many purchases. Both real time understanding what the status is on our purchase and to recall past purchases for price comparison or when you need to make the exact same purchase again.

What needs improvement?

Reporting for any application is a must. Where the reporting is very useful in SpiceWorks, I would like a more powerful reporting tool to better filter what I want and do not want. There are some built in filters, but a simple if-then ability would be incredibly helpful to narrow down my reports.

5 years

Deployment is easy but getting the full details on every networked component can be a challenge. The product has gotten better over the years but there are still some complexities you will more then likely struggle with. There is a client that can be installed to correct this however the client was designed for mobile devices and will categorize them as such by default.

Stability has been solid for all the years I have used this product.

We have taken this from a central location and expanded our reach over 8 different companies with around 1000 devices all reporting to one location. I have had no issues and dont foresee any as we continue to expand and install SpiceWorks at our remaining customers.

I have only used customer service twice and both times they were exceptional.

The initial setup is very easy.

The investment with SpiceWorks is your employee time. The product is free. Our ROI is based on the ability to provide our customers with not only better response times to issues but proactively. Using a product like SpiceWorks helps reveal needs or issues before they become critical. When there are needs for improvement we can bill for that time and look better because our customer networks run more stable.

This product is free.

What other advice do I have?

This is not a true managed service product as many might think at first glance. This product is awesome for help desk, inventory, purchasing and some monitoring. If you are looking for a full managed service product you will need to keep moving to a different solution such as LabTech.

1 visitor found this review helpful

1 Comment

Aimee WhiteReal UserELITE SQUADTOP 5

I'm with you on this: ...getting the full details on every networked component can be a challenge. The product has gotten better over the years but there are still some complexities you will more then likely struggle with.

it's a bit of a grind to get all of the info you need sometimes

23 August 16