SharePoint Overview

SharePoint is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Content Management tools. It is most often compared to WordPress: SharePoint vs WordPress

What is SharePoint?

SharePoint is a Microsoft-based platform for building web applications. It covers a widerange of capabilities and while it is appropriate for experienced webdevelopers, even non-technical minded users can easily navigate through thesystem and execute functions such as collaborating data, managing documents andfiles, creating websites, managing social networking solutions, and automatingworkflow.

Major areas that SharePoint deals with are websites,communities, content, search, insights, and composites. The purpose is to give usersthe ability to create or develop these key business components on their owneven without technical knowledge of, for example, how to build a website or howto integrate coding. Configuring SharePoint into a business's system is meantto cut out all of the complicated steps, and pave the way for easierimplementation all around.

SharePoint is also known as SharePoint 2007, SharePoint 2010.

SharePoint Buyer's Guide

Download the SharePoint Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

SharePoint Customers

Toyota, Aeroports de Paris, ASBBank Ltd., Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals, CambridgeshireConstabulary, D&M Group, NPL Construction Company, and The Regional Municipality of Niagara.

SharePoint Video

SharePoint Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

EntrprsA3456
Enterprise Architect Channels at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 16, 2019
Helpful with document storage and indexing

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for storing documents. It is a single sign-on with the identity system and so it will sign me on and I will upload, download some document, and share it with my colleagues at work.

• "It has helped us with storing all the documents, which means that people are not going to intervene. There is a way of extracting knowledge within documentation and tracking it. There are knowledge assets for where documentation is stored, indexed and searchable through SharePoint."
  • "Search can be improved a lot because we are always trying to compare it with Google Search. Beyond that, it would be helpful to tag the documents."

What other advice do I have?

When I am choosing a product, I think of the quality of service, economy of sale, licensing, implementation, the skill set of documentation, SaaS availability, and skill set. These are the constellations in mind when I'm choosing a product. I think SharePoint can definitely look at taking it to the next level of customer experience. It's not about how jazzy it looks and so on but it's more of how intuitive it is and how it can basically enable a user-friendly experience. When downloading a document, ask yourself how can you enable it? How can you enable some kind of a decision tree, and how…
Adreana Gani
Senior Systems Analyst at KWSP
Nov 22, 2018
We can monitor when the content is being updated and who is editing it.

What is our primary use case?

It's used as the intranet portal. It is used to inform the users about upcoming activities in the company.

How has it helped my organization?

To share information and latest news. We can monitor when the content is being updated, and we can see who the person is.

What is most valuable?

The list library. And also the document libraries. And also other apps like survey which is heavily used in the company.

What needs improvement?

Advise users to update the content. Maybe allowing users to change their background and text by themselves.

More than five years.
Learn what your peers think about SharePoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rigard De Wet
CIO at MMI Holdings
Nov 21, 2018
It has helped with document management and sharing with user-controlled security

What is our primary use case?

* Company intranet and extranet. * Enabling the employee workforce to be more efficient in their day-to-day work they need to deliver for the organisation.
MichaelSoliman
Owner at Alopex ONE UG
Oct 28, 2018

What is our primary use case?

I have been using SharePoint for over twelve years. It's a big solution comprising many services similar to an active directory installation with connections to Skype, Exchange services, metadata services and stuff like that, it can do basically everything you need in order to deliver something like a Twitter website or similar solutions. So I do not think that anything rivals SharePoint on the market. Maybe if a lot of effort is placed upon some WebLogic solutions, this may happen. But, this would need a lot of customizing.

• "The metadata services, the WCF service integration and the Voxel feature are three most valuable elements of this solution."
  • "Tech support tops off as excellent."
  • "The initial setup was very complex."
Salvador Sibrian
IT Solutions Architect at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 22, 2018
It's just for internet and communication. It's not a busy implementation.

What is our primary use case?

It's good but we are not using a lot of load in the system.

• "It is very stable."
  • "I understand that some functions are lost when you store the information in a file system, so maybe that's a way SharePoint can improve."
Jan Coley
Director, Business Development at Armedia
Oct 16, 2018
Sometimes it cannot handle the amount of co-editing that we do

What is our primary use case?

We use it for collaboration and document management in the process of developing proposal responses.

How has it helped my organization?

SharePoint has made it easier to collaborate across the company during the process of developing proposals.

What is most valuable?

The collaboration is incredibly helpful.  The ability to have version control and co-editing is vital to our workflows.

What needs improvement?

SharePoint sometimes cannot handle the amount of co-editing that we do. Of course, this could be the user, not the tool.

Three to five years.
James Lewis
PCV Engineering & Bus Driving Recruitment Consultant at Likewise Consulting
Oct 16, 2018
Helps with document collaboration and workflow

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise collaboration.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps with document collaboration and workflow. Provides us with a records center.

What is most valuable?

Records center Shared calendar.

What needs improvement?

Ease of use. Improvement on the user interface (UI).

Monica Deshazo
Owner at CTC
Oct 15, 2018
The product makes it easy to manage lists, forms, searching, and security

What is our primary use case?

Collaboration and document sharing are the primary reasons for using SharePoint. We have used the product in many government agencies for documents management, workflow, enterprise search, departmental solutions, Intranet, etc.

• "The product makes it easy to manage lists, forms, searching, and security. One of the most valuable features is its integration with Active Directory."
  • "Processing data from multiple site collections is not easy as they reside in different databases."
  • "The management of the product/back-end is complex."
Kumar_Rajesh
Vice President & Head Technology Transition at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 14, 2018
While the tool has more functionality available, it should have more user-friendly customization

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is largely content management. The product is good.

• "It allows for simultaneous users to be on it."
  • "Information is much more readily available."
  • "SharePoint has made things easier with the increased functionality for building the portals, microsites, and total integration with Microsoft categories."
  • "It should have more user-friendly customization, as it still requires developers to get engaged and build sites."
  • "I would like it to be more compliant with global regulations. There are certain features which could be included that currently are not there, such as compliance and record management capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

With this product, have a decent skill set in-house. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: support.
reviewer907167
Cloud Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Aug 6, 2018
Its cloud-based technology is more accessible, but we would like to see more security features

What is our primary use case?

Compared to other products, SharePoint is not only a content manager, but a wider product, like enterprise content management. You can use multiple components in SharePoint. Moreover, SharePoint is already moving to cloud, if you are using SharePoint online, which is cloud-based technology, it is more accessible.

What is most valuable?

Data classification Search These two elements are cheap.

What needs improvement?

We would like more security features, like automating.

More than five years.

There are some limitations on storage.

The product and technical support teams are really good.

How was

SysMan2876
System Manager at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Aug 6, 2018
Widely used and well known, there are always solutions for any problems we encounter

What is our primary use case?

The use case is based on internal processes. We want a central place for storing data, documents, and user processes, to automate processes. In this case, it's a financial program. All customers starting our financial program are automatically created on SharePoint. From there, all the documents that are related to each customer will be stored on SharePoint, and we then use it as a kind of a black box. You put everything in, you do not know where it is. Then we have other applications around it that give you information that you need. Or you can save it and, based on customer information or… more »

• "It's stable. It's very widely used by companies. Also, the knowledge of the product has improved over the years, and by other companies that support it or are Microsoft SharePoint partners. So if there are problems, there's always a user or company that knows the information or can help you; even with very uncommon problems."
  • "The integration with Outlook could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would depend on the use case. SharePoint, for us, is the most suitable because we use mainly Microsoft products. So for us, it's the way to go because the integration is solid. If colleagues have other products, it depends on what they're asking. Look at the best option. It's not that I'm saying, "You have to use this product because it's the greatest." Consider what you need, what you want. It's very stable. I don't call it a document management system, I call it a multifunctional document system. You can do a lot of things with it. It's just incredible how much. I really like that…
JulioYzaguirre
Information Technology Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Aug 2, 2018
Needs to be better integrated with all Microsoft solutions
Garett Patria
OTA Manager, VRA at US Army - TARDEC
Aug 2, 2018
Its configuration management ability is critical for document-based systems

What is our primary use case?

Most departments use SharePoint for their own organizational homepages and their document repositories

How has it helped my organization?

It is better than static repositories via shared drives, and better than having to use software that is not mainstream (i.e. Microsoft is very mainstream).

What is most valuable?

Its configuration management ability is critical for document-based systems. It offers ease of use, which is crucial.

What needs improvement?

During uptime under our network, it is hard to find info when content is hefty. It should have a Google-caliber search ability and a model-based GUI.

reviewer896343
Jul 9, 2018
Enabled staff to share documents and work on a document simultaneously

What is our primary use case?

Used as a site for staff to add records. It is integrated with RecordPoint in the back-end, so the staff did not have to work within an EDRMS.

• "SharePoint enabled the staff to share documents and work on a document simultaneously."
  • "Our staff found it simpler, as they did not have to work within a classification system."
  • "Staff training is reduced because learning basic SharePoint is not as complicated as an EDRMS."
  • "It does not integrate despite being part of the Microsoft family."
Anthony M
Business Technology Analyst at Deloitte
Jun 19, 2018
Increased employee collaboration across our organization

What is our primary use case?

Document and data management Information sharing across the organization Collaboration Knowledge management

How has it helped my organization?

Improved transparency around work products. Ease of access to documents. Increased employee collaboration across our organization.

What is most valuable?

The ability to easily upload and modify documents has been a huge help. In addition, the ability to quickly and easily create team sites has been great.

What needs improvement?

SharePoint designer workflows can be buggy sometimes without any apparent reason. Also, customization can be somewhat burdensome.

it_user799479
Assistant Manager at Li & Fung
Jun 10, 2018
It speeds up document sharing. Replication needs improvement.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is document sharing.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improve our organization by speeding up document sharing.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable feature is the document library.

What needs improvement?

Replication needs improvement.

it_user880446
Lead Engineer at AVENCOM
May 31, 2018
Its functionality is enormous, but the product is too heavy

What is our primary use case?

We are a middle-sized company with around 200 users.  We use SharePoint for some basic business processes: CRM, ECM, etc. Our maturity reached a certain level and it allowed for some further improvement.

How has it helped my organization?

Company portal was finally set up. The CRM system for the commercial department went into production and opened the door for further improvements, KPIs, and metrics.

What is most valuable?

Its functionality is enormous.  It looks nice.  It has good integration with other MS products.  It is well supported by Microsoft.

What needs improvement?

It is too heavy. MS should not have paid foreign coders dollars per each row of code. They wasted the stability and reliability in the end.

For how long have I used the

it_user848835
Manager at cavok
Apr 18, 2018
It keeps our company organized and everything is in one place

What is our primary use case?

It is a whole package solution: Document management Workflows Requests Sites Permissions Integration.

How has it helped my organization?

It keeps our company organized and everything is in one place. It integrates well with the whole Microsoft production. It is flexible, but still structured.

What is most valuable?

There is not just one valuable feature; it is all of them working together:  Document libraries Lists Workflows Sites Integration.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved in a lot of way. It is so frustrating to get things to work as advertised.

More than five years.

The support is the worst. It is bad when Microsoft support…
it_user848442
Founder at ARICAN Proje Merkezi
Apr 16, 2018
It is very expensive.​ It arranges all our documents on one platform so we can view changes and edits.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of SharePoint is document management and collaboration from our team. It is very important for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We can arrange all our documents on one platform and see the document's changes and edits. We can arrange all the document archives.

What is most valuable?

Office 365 integration is most valuable thing in SharePoint. It is so much easier to create documents.

What needs improvement?

Using SharePoint is difficult. It will fully use your system resources.

Less than one year.

It is very expensive.
it_user836682
Technical Project Manager with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 14, 2018
Information is now available instantly to managers on all devices

What is our primary use case?

Majority of our employees (around 800) all have Office 365 E3 Enterprise licences. Using at first purely email and Skype, we have now created a SharePoint Intranet and all users now use OneDrive. Teams are now being linked to SharePoint document libraries and embraced by many of our departments. Yammer is now the centre communication tool for company-wide information. We are starting to find the benefits of Power BI, Forms, and Stream.

• "Information is now available instantly to managers on all devices."
  • "The ability to take Excel files and make them dynamic SharePoint lists with instant reporting capabilities has been a major benefit."
  • "OneDrive and SharePoint provide a secure, fully auditable way of storing information."
  • "Annoyingly, many new Office 365 apps always end up being only US locale for the first year of their life. Microsoft needs to realise that most of their customers are not in the USA."
  • "You still need a bit of expertise to add branding."
  • "The company also needs to make sure that their policies are dictating how information is stored and used, instead of letting SharePoint take control."
it_user816477
Feb 26, 2018
Moved from papers to digital

What is our primary use case?

Digitizing the document flow, storage, exchange and backups along with integration of Epicor. Also, it provided a direct interface with third-parties.

How has it helped my organization?

Moved from papers to digital.  Removed the need of paper storage and people flow into the office.

What is most valuable?

Document flows, storage, and numbering take off the actions for checking and assigning the numbering and running around with approvals and pre-approvals.

What needs improvement?

Improve the user-friendliness. Make it more intuitive. Make it more like a flow/BPM view style. More hints and make it more user-customizable.

it_user227412
Technical Writer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 30, 2018
Automates the version control, change control, and publication processes. I would like to see a more powerful and easily configurable search feature.

What is our primary use case?

We use SharePoint as a document management solution. It has allowed us to centralise and more efficiently manage our templates, letterheads and other company-branded elements. Our Document Library is a central repository for our user manuals making it easy for consultants to access the right information for each implementation. We also use SharePoint to manage our policies and procedures.

What other advice do I have?

Our implementation could have been improved by a more detailed implementation plan that mapped out the exact use of each area and how to use it. With this in mind, I would recommend that anyone who is considering SharePoint plan their implementation thoroughly before beginning.
it_user802194
Business Analyst, Global IT with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jan 18, 2018
Provides combined reports and data with timeline tracking. Emails stored now do not display metadata in native format.

What is our primary use case?

Small process tracking for in-house requirements investigations, which are shared across several departments.

How has it helped my organization?

Combined reports and data with timeline tracking. Better than looking into three systems to find the full picture.

What is most valuable?

Metadata store Cascade dropdowns for selection of data sets.

What needs improvement?

Links to Outlook and native storage of emails.  Emails stored now do not display metadata in native format. No good process to import emails from several users into a single comprehensive SP repository. The linkages to external record stores could be beefed up.

it_user803202
analyst, programmer
Jan 18, 2018
It has made us faster and more efficient

What is our primary use case?

Some solutions have been implemented in the company that I work for. Most of them are based on workflows and team collaboration.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made us faster and more efficient. Users just like working in this environment, as an MS Office desktop.

What is most valuable?

Team collaboration Unique permissions MS Office web access  Quantity and variety of partners with solution development ability on the platform.

What needs improvement?

Allow more functionalities for the on-premise version. Do not force the move of content to a non-private cloud.

Andy Sworan
VP, CRS Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Sep 12, 2017
Offers an easy way to store unstructured content and to tag it with metadata

• "It offers an easy way to store unstructured content (.pdf, .doc, .xls, images) and to tag them with metadata."
  • "Too many versions being released in a short time period. Too much time being devoted to migration planning."

What other advice do I have?

As long as you work within the constraints of the software, working with out-of-the-box tools, the product is great. If you start to customize the solution too much or install code on the servers, migrations and upgrades become a problem. Spend some time and money up front discussing your wants and needs with someone who is knowledgeable. For content management, think about the whole lifecycle, from receipt to purging the content from your system.
it_user360681
Technology Manager - Applications at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 27, 2017
It has an easy to distribute administration capability. The licensing structures don’t fit the needs of their products.

• "It has an easy to distribute administration capability, and can also scale to meet a large number of future needs."
  • "The product does not perform 100% when used outside of a Microsoft based browser, Chrome, Firefox, etc."

What other advice do I have?

Invest a lot of time and energy in the planning for your needs. You will find that infrastructure needs are imperative to map out in the finest detail. Otherwise, your system will be continually under-performing. Also, pay special attention to the CAL needs.
it_user689550
Sr DevOps Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Jun 27, 2017
It facilitates collaboration and provides the ability to create custom workflows. Extending its functionality is painful.

• "It facilitates collaboration and the ability to create custom workflows."
  • "Flexibility and extensibility, above everything, could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Look for other options from different providers.
it_user173493
Founder/CEO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Mar 31, 2017
There are no happy customers, only happy contractors.
We have used SharePoint for more than eight years. In the 10+ years of being in traditional IT, I have never once heard of a happy customer of SharePoint, only happy contractors and IT personnel who feel safe in their jobs because SharePoint never quite works. I’ve even tried to find a happy customer. I couldn’t.  This is probably harsh criticism to some readers, but in my honest view, SharePoint is a system that only really works for IT departments and the contractors who develop SharePoint, because the solution is folded into the existing enterprise agreements. It’s free because it wouldn’t have value on its own. There are no happy customers of SharePoint, only happy contractors. Let’s talk UX. Employees today have little time for systems that don’t address their needs. If a team…
it_user265281
Network Manager / Senior Network Engineer at Warnock, Tanner & Associates
Mar 30, 2017
We are using it for boarding processes, PTO requests and company-wide document management.

What other advice do I have?

You will need to hire and communicate with a third-party consultant.
it_user635955
Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 29, 2017
Among the most useful features are the site permissions and the social enterprise features.

What other advice do I have?

Ease of use, ease of setup, ease of administration, ease of configuration, ease of customization... what's not to like? SharePoint's got exactly what you need. Just don't expect too many frills, bells, whistles in terms of UI, but even then, it gets the job done.
it_user631614
Senior Technology Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 26, 2017
Some of the valuable features are collaboration, DLP, and the search capability.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool, but be prepared to adapt to the new way of working with SharePoint and Office 365. They bring their own new features which are very good, but you will experience a learning curve.
it_user449190
Practice Manager and Solutions Architect at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 22, 2017
It has transformed the way departments collaborate.
it_user353139
Technical Writer and Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 21, 2017
The search function locates and updates information for our global and diverse teams. I’ve had difficulties creating new pages.

What other advice do I have?

Create a structure for organizational pages from the beginning and document that for anyone who wants to create new pages/structures within it. One confusing thing I see often are existing pages that are “named” the same as ones that I need to create, and the existing page doesn’t have any of the information I’m trying to share.
it_user88620
IT & PMO Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 21, 2017
Integrates with Office 365 and Active Directory. We went with it because of it's familiarity to our users.

What other advice do I have?

It is always good to start with a special need in a business unit and show quick wins to other units, as part of the adoption plan.
it_user220764
IT Business Analyst for Sales Enablement with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 20, 2017
I like the way we can create the views of documents and create column metadata. The mobile experience is wanting.

What other advice do I have?

Office 365 and SharePoint online is the way moving forward. Integrating it with Yammer and Office 365 groups provides a much greater feature set than SharePoint alone.
it_user83517
Consultant - Business Intelligence at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Mar 20, 2017
I especially value document sharing. I would like to see more freedom given to a power user.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think that this whole review is worth the effort as we are talking about a product (Sharepoint 2010) that is six years old, close to end of life, and not sold anymore. People who are new to this will certainly look for the latest version which I have no experience with. We are mainly using the document sharing feature to share documents with customers in a secure way. Actual development depends on server-side tools (Visual Studio running on the Sharepoint server itself), administrator access rights, and activities that cannot be done from machines. I guess this is by design, and…
Caressa Naidoo
Technical Writer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 18, 2017
Documentation management and workflow features enable better organization, control, and knowledge sharing. Workflows have glitches.

What other advice do I have?

I advise organizations or business leaders to fully investigate and research SharePoint, as well as all the features that are available for each edition. Based on your business needs, it might or might not be the right fit for your company. Properly weigh out your options and make the right decision for your organization, based on what your organization’s needs; how people work; or ideally should work. Indecisiveness from a management and leadership perspective on what tool to use reflects poorly on the rest of the organization. Therefore, people feel discouraged. SharePoint is a great…
it_user262269
Assistant Manager, Operations Automation at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Mar 7, 2017
You can assign permissions, create user groups, and automate workflows. I would like to see a more intuitive way to assign permissions.

What other advice do I have?

Look at scalability and stability and see whether the features of the product really meet the needs of your organization.
Lewin Wanzer
SharePoint Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Mar 1, 2017
Overall Assessment of SharePoint 2013

What other advice do I have?

Find a certified person or company that can help you get started. This might cost a little up front, but your return on investment will be great. Do not go it alone. Again, the initial implementation is everything to the foundation of the product working for you. The version of software you choose can also determine what services you can make use of and can save you money.
it_user339057
Sr. Manager - IT Security, Compliance and Administration at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Mar 1, 2017
We use the content management features and workflows to create ticketing and document management systems.

What other advice do I have?

Use a third-party expert who can help with the initial setup and development. You can then manage yourself once you are up and running.
Yatin Dalvi
Senior Industry Expert with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 28, 2017
Provides site templates, permissions, and publishing features. I would like to see performance and UI improvements.

What other advice do I have?

Plan for global deployments using a distributed deployment topology.
Syed Fahad Anwar
Principal System Developer at a government with 51-200 employees
Feb 28, 2017
Offers check in, check out and in-built approval workflows for documents/lists.

What other advice do I have?

Plan yourself properly in terms of the architecture. If you plan early for proper architecture, you will have a long-term solution.
it_user86598
Consultant (SharePoint Specialist) at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Feb 26, 2017
It is a good solution for the enterprise level.

What is most valuable?

Team sites Reporting services Power pivot Excel services Search services.

What needs improvement?

E-forms Workflows BPMN

I have used SharePoint for 10 years.

We did not have stability issues.

We did not have scalability issues.

Technical support rates a 3.5/5.

We did not have a previous solution.

Setup was complex. As an IT techie, it is setting up a farm that includes five servers.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution for the enterprise…
it_user324303
Lead Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 26, 2017
I like the eServices Platform for developing applications on top off it.

What other advice do I have?

Plan, Plan and Plan again! Usage planning is needed with up to 70% of your efforts being expended in information gathering and implementation and usage planning.
it_user118278
Senior Business Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Feb 23, 2017
We like the synergy with other applications in the MS Office suite.

What other advice do I have?

It’s the best in the class, but make sure your existing solution doesn't already meet your needs before making the decision to go the MS SharePoint route.
it_user329733
Office 365 Consultant at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
Workflows transformed our paper processes into digitized and faster processes. Document libraries lack flexibility.

What other advice do I have?

If your users are already familiar with an existing Windows product such as Office applications, you won't regret jumping in.
it_user247329
Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
The developers and project stakeholders can share information in the form of documents/Updates. Migrating SharePoint sites can be a cumbersome process.

What other advice do I have?

SharePoint works very well within a Microsoft ecosystem. Hence, SharePoint would be a good choice if the organization uses the Microsoft technology stack extensively.
it_user347112
Senior Consultant/Project Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
My project sites can include views that apply to specific business uses. We can assign attributes to artifacts and then create views based on them.

What other advice do I have?

Get training for IT and training for your base user. Developing a framework (nomenclature, categorization and user needs).
it_user312111
Test Lead at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
Team sites allow multiple consultants to collaborate on a team project. We use workflows for onboarding processes.

What other advice do I have?

Hire and communicate with a 3rd party consultant.
it_user410514
Deputy General Manager at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
Acts as a central repository for the corporate information systems. Complex administration.

What other advice do I have?

It is a complex product that should be implemented carefully. Take into account the organization’s details.
it_user249759
IT Services Manager at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
We use it for storing, collaborating and archiving documents with versioning and custom workflows.

What other advice do I have?

Read and research this subject area thoroughly. Reach out to the large community and visit others that have adopted this solution.
it_user303465
Business Analyst at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 23, 2017
There are integrated workflows and it has the flexibility to store various document and lists.

What other advice do I have?

For a medium to large scale business, it is excellent. For a small business, there may be too much overhead costs and a steep learning curve for the solution to be adding any value.
it_user350169
Sr. Business Systems Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
Libraries and lists enable capturing and organizing large amounts of information.

What other advice do I have?

Know what you want it for first. Talk to other businesses using the product to understand their experiences. If it looks like SharePoint can bring real business value, then find the best implementation partner that you can find. I don't know the economic ramifications of cloud vs. on-premise, but I found the cloud version of the product takes a lot of headaches out of your hands with Microsoft being responsible to administer and maintain the back end. Finally, be very wary of proposals from within your company to build all manner of applications, web sites, and data marts with the tool…
Chaan Beard
Senior Data Center Solutions Architect at ChaanBeard.com
Reseller
Feb 23, 2017
Provides team site sharing, internal collaboration, intranet websites, and document archive storage.

What other advice do I have?

Tread slowly and do the basic training.
it_user85050
Senior Technology Architect at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
Workflows make sure the right people review and approve documents.

What other advice do I have?

Consider SharePoint Online unless you have customisations. If you have customisations, try and get rid of them. They cause problems when upgrading.
it_user242187
Chief Information Security Officer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
Provides many office-related functions, including document management, file sharing with versioning, forms, workflows, etc. I would like to see better site templates.

What other advice do I have?

Find out how others are using it. Examine good examples of custom applications and workflows. Consider using commercial add-ons as well. When properly implemented and users are adequately trained, SharePoint can take the place of network file shares for most types of use cases. Instead of users never knowing where to find documents, or which document is the current version, SharePoint makes it easy to share documents and set permissions. A classic workflow that SharePoint handles easily is the review and edit of a document by multiple individuals. By using a workflow, each person that needs to…
it_user164916
Senior Manager, Business Intelligence at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
Replaces our reliance on voluminous reports which took several weeks to produce, with a dashboard which is maintained on a daily basis.

What other advice do I have?

I do not think it is possible to implement a solution to the scale of the one we had without the help of knowledgeable Cognos BI resources. Ideally, it is best to hire an expert or one or more good Cognos consultants.
it_user87039
Manager of Operations at a hospitality company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
The document repository features are a distinguishing point compared to a file server.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think anybody nowadays should deploy SharePoint 2007. However, the SharePoint online that comes with Office 365 is worth a look. But beware of sizing as the fee is charged by data size and processing resources that would affect your SharePoint online response time.
it_user134346
Client Relations Coordinator at a tech consulting company
Feb 23, 2017
I like the ability to collaborate with others in the organization.

What is most valuable?

Ability to collaborate with others in organization Ease of use Customization

How has it helped my organization?

All employees can view necessary interactions/documents, great task management and contact management functions.

What needs improvement?

Document libraries and document management could be improved.

I have used SharePoint for two years.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.`

We have never required support.

We did not have…
it_user70575
Project Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 22, 2017
Provides document storage and version control.

What other advice do I have?

I think they can look for free options in the case of small teams of five to ten members. Otherwise, this is an amazing option. I am very satisfied.
it_user515928
SharePoint Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 20, 2017
The search feature supports a range of hybrid on-premises and cloud configurations, with customizable display templates and refiners.

What other advice do I have?

Get a real professional to work with your team. Ensure training and collaborative working with users is included in your deployment plan. Adoption is key.
it_user415431
Collaboration Service Manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 16, 2017
Enables you to share documents from the web and via mobile devices.

What other advice do I have?

First understand the scale of what this product offers. Don't hesitate to engage with a partner to provide best practice advice if you don't have the in-house skills or knowledge. Ensure you understand what governance and compliance requirements your organization has to which you need to align the platform. Have a plan on how you are going to structure the site collections and hierarchy.
it_user221769
Business Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Feb 16, 2017
We use it use as a platform to run our day-to-Day operational processes. We are unable to use it to archive data and run queries to generate hindsight information.

What other advice do I have?

There are some features that I am looking for and that I am unable to find, for example creating nested IF functions.
it_user328023
IT Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 16, 2017
I like the document libraries, team sites and workflow engine. It could be more intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

Plan thoroughly and well for your deployment and make sure that you understanding the implications of the decisions you make around multi-server implementations for scalability and resilience.
it_user250926
Managing Director & Chief Technology Officer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Feb 16, 2017
It simplifies development of portal and document management.

What other advice do I have?

if you have a .NET team, the SharePoint is right solution for you.
it_user224211
Web Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 16, 2017
By using the cleaner user interface, we have managed to assign access requests back to the users.

What other advice do I have?

Try and stick to a vanilla installation/setup as much as possible. When branding your instance of SharePoint, also try not to implement too much of custom codes. The more custom codes you implement, the less maintainable and less migratable SharePoint becomes.
it_user246930
Director of Development with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 16, 2017
It has improved the exchange of knowledge from team to team. There should be an easy way to integrate images into the wiki through the drag and drop option.

What other advice do I have?

What is costly with SharePoint is the customization and maintenance of these custom components. Unless you are a .NET development shop or are thinking about hiring a SharePoint person on staff full-time, you need to stay close to the out-of-the-box config.
it_user421563
IT admin at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 16, 2017
It's pretty easy to scale services when you require more performance.

What other advice do I have?

Like other products similar to this, it is very important to pay attention to employee’s training regarding the use of the platform. They should be prepared for the change. Otherwise, they would be tempted to reject it without evaluating properly the advantages.
it_user500811
SI with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 16, 2017
Provides faster search results and better document search. Data portability between Excel reporting and Power BI allows us to create beautiful company reports.

What other advice do I have?

Take time to plan your portal information architecture before installation and train your users and create a content editorial group.
Wissam H
Change Management Consultant at a analyst firm with self employed
Jan 15, 2017
I used it to build tactical solutions such as a document control management system for the Policy and Procedure Department and a case tracker for Legal Counsel.

What other advice do I have?

Go through the vendor-selection process thoroughly. Dig all the information you can about them and try to meet other organizations who utilized them for implementing the solution. I would give Microsoft SharePoint 2007 a lower rating. SharePoint is an excellent solution that is highly scalable. However, like all other Microsoft products, it has some frustrating bugs and other issues relating to customer experience. However, version 2013 showed significant improvement. The level of empowerment for the business administrator significantly improved as well. The solution is cost effective and…
it_user540288
Project Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Jan 15, 2017
The two-way synchronization is valuable. The number of files that can be uploaded has a limit.

What other advice do I have?

Office 365 SharePoint is a powerful and great tool, as long as your libraries’ content is limited in terms of the number of files. For huge data uploads, limitation problems will start popping up.
it_user199146
IT Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 21, 2016
Exposes data for real-time reporting as well as point-in-time views.

What other advice do I have?

Try the Microsoft Cloud Services first and implement on-premise only if you really need to.
it_user274608
European Business Architect - B2B Marketing & Sales with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 12, 2016
Cross-site search finds knowledge in the organization. Direct document editing facilitates collaboration.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure the search is quick enough. If not, look at the indexing configuration.
it_user263559
Escalation Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 27, 2016
Indexing, search and BI features are valuable. It integrates with Yammer.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the product meets your business needs. Once you make that decision, rollout the proper internal marketing and adoption of the product. Workshops are available by Microsoft along with adoption recommendations.
it_user229761
Senior Consultant | Architect at DHL
Nov 24, 2016
Applies to a wide range of company scenarios. You can integrate systems using workflow management middleware.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to look around the Internet and find some justification to negotiate with your boss to buy this product. Alternatively, you could go to the cloud as well and create a hybrid model to reduce the cost of infrastructure (using Azure/Office 365). Also, optimize your business using automation, forms, document management, etc.
it_user8346
Product Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 23, 2016
It offers customization with MS .NET and related tools, is stable and performs well in a medium-sized environment.

What other advice do I have?

Consider what level of SharePoint Web customization you are looking for. If you would be okay with some basic color changes, adding your logo and other small visual changes, it would be easy for you to build what you want. However, if you are looking to build a custom look and feel website and consider using SharePoint, you will end up building a completely new product using some SharePoint components that may lead into technology/customization limitations.
it_user253449
Sr. DevOps at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 23, 2016
It maintains an easy, searchable knowledge base. It is difficult to identify deltas in documents, especially those with drawings.

What other advice do I have?

It is best to ensure that all configuration options are explored when connecting to other solutions.
it_user302172
System Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 23, 2016
It collaborates with other MS products. Network sharing is no longer required to store attached documents.

What other advice do I have?

Keep it simple. Make use of this product without huge amounts of custom applications and scripting.
it_user322521
ITIL Process Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 22, 2016
We use the list functionality to create integrated test scripts. It provides a Web solution for running integrated test scripts across multiple applications.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to not hesitate; just plunge in and implement SharePoint.
it_user360642
Head of Business Intelligence at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 21, 2016
It includes ready-made snippets. You can automate basic processes.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the spec list and try to find out if (almost) all of the features you request are covered by SharePoint.
it_user333585
Project Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Nov 21, 2016
It provides multiple site collections, list libraries, a content and document library, and custom development & integration.

What other advice do I have?

Using this product, one can benefit from OOB features in regards to content and document management. It provides a single platform where multiple applications can be integrated under one roof.
it_user366102
Business Process Coordinator at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Nov 17, 2016
Metadata is easy to index in the research engine. Wikis are limited and hard to use.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend hiring experts and architects and preparing detailed business requirements for them.
it_user293013
Business Development Director at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Nov 16, 2016
The community building feature creates a central working environment.

What other advice do I have?

Before starting the project, it’s critical to understand what you want to achieve. Just installing it because IT owns it, will not accomplish your goals. If you have well-defined use case for it, and the solution is geared toward delivering on that ROI, SharePoint is a great fit. Special attention must be given to ongoing adoption and training and it’s critical that you choose your vendor very carefully. Many vendors understand a bit, but only a handful have walked the walk and know the many pitfalls of splash and dash deployments.
it_user166335
CTO with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 10, 2016
It produces workflows down to the user or product level, integrates KPIs and uses standard reporting tools.

What other advice do I have?

In addition to what I’ve already mentioned, if possible, have dedicated implementation staff. Or, get external staff involved after they have reviewed your company processes for optimization; they have a neutral view of the company and are not stuck in current processes the current users work with.
it_user75573
Software Architect at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 10, 2016
It can be used from a .NET programming environment.

What other advice do I have?

Look at alternatives, and understand your goals and possible future implementations.
it_user63336
Database / SharePoint Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 10, 2016
It offers the ability to create workflows that can assign tasks and route documents for review and approval.

What other advice do I have?

If you don’t have in-house expertise, you would be well advised to hire a competent consulting firm to help with the planning and installation. You will need to consider things such as in-house servers vs. a hosted solution, along with topology, backup and disaster recovery, security, and capacity plans. And that is just for hardware. You will also need to consider logical architecture: how you want to use social computing, document management, search and metadata structure, records management, and site security. That is just a portion of the details involved. Beginning with SharePoint 2007…
it_user189537
Systems Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 10, 2016
We use it as an internal intranet. Users are organized through AD and into their respective teams. There are many end users who find it difficult.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have the proper resources to ensure that the product is well maintained. This includes both technical resources and if necessary a governance group. There is a steep learning curve for those not familiar with the way Microsoft works. They have a specific, albeit predictable, way of doing things. Ensure that your developers and system administrators are familiar with this "way". It seems arrogant and militant to state, but if your resources aren't willing to do things the Microsoft way, they should be taken off this project, else they will slow things down or outright make…
it_user130776
Database Senior Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 10, 2016
We have taken advantage of the list features extensively and the ability to clone subsites.

What other advice do I have?

Start out in the cloud and see if that will get you where you want to go. This version is a lot easier to use than the predecessors but it is still not easy to setup and get running. I love the new features and look forward to working with Microsoft SharePoint O365 online.
it_user139293
VP/Treasurer/Asst Secretary at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 9, 2016
It provides calendaring specific to the function or department addressed by the site.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you find the right consultant. Make sure you invest the proper amount of time to plan the implementation. This is not something like Excel, where you can install, train and use. To get the most out of it, you need a game plan for what you will use it for and how to design/customize it to your needs.
DirectorMIS463
Director, Systems Management & MIS Operations with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 9, 2016
Access to files is secured and controlled via roles & permissions in LDAP.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. It works.
it_user196608
Data Research Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 5, 2016
It integrates collaboration, e-mail, document management, workflow, and content management.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others looking into implementing this product to consider Office 365 as a SaaS solution. I would also provide a governance plan and some common templates and training to get them started. I would advise them to start with the teams that will leverage the product. I would recommend finding ways to combine business process re-engineering with rolling out sites. This would be an easy win: combining process improvement with content management, document management, workflow and collaboration. I would tell them to expect some amount of customization depending on what they wanted to…
Sunny Rajpal
Senior SharePoint Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sep 25, 2016
It provides a platform for documentation management, BI, and supports mobile devices.

What other advice do I have?

For enterprise global collaboration, DMS, and ECM needs, this is the right platform.
it_user402498
Director at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 31, 2016
Easy to use and provides valuable integration options.

What other advice do I have?

We recommend this product with the following two main points: * Cost of investment is quite low, while the ROI is quite high. * Plan a proper approach, and look for a capable team for implementation
it_user204777
Manager, IT Communications at AbbVie
Jan 20, 2016
There should be more data available to admin but I like the news feed and discussion features.

What other advice do I have?

Perform a controlled pilot first with social advocates in the company first. Nail down the business requirements with management before rolling anything out. Get their buy-in and support. Once that is decided, pilot several other tools to see what else is out there. Yammer isn't the only other solution for SharePoint. Compare costs, etc, select a solution, create a social governance team, train them well, provide guidance templates if needed and create regular training or webinars for people to get on board. Have leaders use the tool to communicate and move away from email.
ManagerIT306285
Manager, IT Automation and Technical Services at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 20, 2015
Accessing it from a DMZ (i.e. the internet) allows vendors and outside third parties to work with it, but it tends to be unstable and slow when accessing some features.

Valuable Features:

We can access SharePoint from a DMZ. Vendors and other outside parties can work with it easily.

Improvements to My Organization:

Prior to implementing SharePoint, we accessed our network just via the internet. However in 2013, we implemented it. With accessibility from a DMZ, SharePoint is a good solution for outside access.

Room for Improvement:

It tends to be unstable and slow when accessing different features.

Use of Solution:

I've used it since 2013.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

it_user269952
President and Founder with 51-200 employees
Jul 19, 2015
Integration with Outlook could be more stable, but MS Dynamics integration is a key feature.

What other advice do I have?

Budget enough design and training dollars to seed your enterprise with certified electronic workers that can provide thought leadership, mentoring and set standards for use.
Toby Ward
President at Prescient Digital Media
Feb 16, 2015
SharePoint 2016 – likely the last release as Microsoft pushes customers to the cloud where releases will be quicker.
Microsoft has announced the next version of SharePoint, to be called SharePoint Server 2016. Though it will not be released until the second half of 2015, not likely before September, there will be a preview version at the big Ignite conference in Chicago in May (Ignite replaces all the previous standalone conferences for SharePoint, Office and other products). SharePoint 2016 (SP16) will be rolled-out with the next version of Office, Office 2016, and we can also expect new versions of Exchange and Skype for Business, which replaces Lync. Microsoft Delve (code name: Oslo), now part of Office 365, and soon to be part of SharePoint Though only about one-third of companies using SharePoint have rolled-out the current version, SharePoint 2013, which among other things features search, social…
it_user183822
Project Manager with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 22, 2015
SharePoint 2007 (MOSS) - Decent product, poor support

What other advice do I have?

SharePoint is a good solution and is very flexible if you're willing to invest the time and money into it. It requires full buy-in from various departments within a company and will require heavy configuration to get it to where it typically needs to be for your needs. I personally wouldn't go with SharePoint again as it doesn't fit my needs and is currently being used, but in very limited fashion.
it_user9216
Head of Consulting & Solutions EMEA at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Sep 21, 2014
Will Office 365 change the SharePoint vendors focus?
Office 365 is a comprehensive platform that delivers main pillars like email, calendar, collaboration (including search, document management...etc.), unified communications and social. Microsoft keeps adding to this platform like Project Online and PowerBI. Office 365 is not an isolated platform, it works in tandem with Microsoft Azure to extend its services through Azure websites, Active Directory, and more to come. The platform is fully managed by Microsoft and supported Microsoft SLA. Having that said, how this will affect the existing SharePoint ecosystem and Microsoft partners specifically? I would categorise existing Microsoft partners into Boutique services: they deliver software services in the shape of custom developed solutions on top of SharePoint and consultancy services.…
it_user143376
Consultant with 201-500 employees
Aug 11, 2014
Full functionality is available from anywhere in the world with a web browser so everyone is always connected.

What other advice do I have?

Read the planning documentation: running the installer without planning has some disadvantages for auditing, for example.
it_user118134
Director Cloud Solution Consulting at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jul 28, 2014
Works on any device, any place and anywhere for everyone. Synchronization of files in OneDrive can take some time.

What other advice do I have?

Take a good look at what your customers wants and needs are before choosing any other product than what you’re currently using. This will make implementation and migration easier and also makes it easier for people to change to a new platform. With Microsoft Office 365 things changed radically in our environment, which had its effect on the day-to-day business, although none which couldn’t be resolved, but a good discovery and inventory before making choices is the better option.
it_user135282
Change Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jun 28, 2014
Sharepoint is a good solution for collaboration but needs a good technical support

Valuable Features:

Meeting workspaces, version history, bulk tagging.

Improvements to My Organization:

It has helped us collapse all our versions into a single file. It has also improved our meetings.

Room for Improvement:

Setting up permissions can be overwhelming. If this can be improved it would be great. Also Sharepoint search out-of-the-box needs improvement.

Use of Solution:

Five years. Started out with Sharepoint 2007.

Deployment Issues:

Most issues are from the change management part.

Stability Issues:

The solution appeared unstable at deployment but it's been more stable since then.

Implementation Team:

We implemented through a vendor team.
it_user86130
Tech Support Staff at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 5, 2014
Great application but I would like to see co-authoring be real time

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. Good software to help: * Centralized management and editing of documents * Team brainstorming and exchange through discussion forums * Synchronization and centralization of appointments and meetings * The provision of one portal or web site to access documents, calendars, forums etc.
it_user68340
Director of Development at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 4, 2013
SharePoint vs Yammer. What’s the difference?
How does Yammer compare to SharePoint? Does it fit into an organization that is using SharePoint 2013? Ben Skelton SharePoint 2010’s social features were pretty rudimentary. Organizations that really embraced social had to turn to third-party vendors, such as NewsGator or Yammer. Although powerful, I always felt NewsGator was a little complicated and the user experience wasn’t ideal. SharePoint 2013’s social features are miles ahead of what was available in SharePoint 2010. Personally, I don’t understand why an organization would adopt both SharePoint 2013 and Yammer. I would leverage the social tools within SharePoint 2013 as they are fully integrated within an organization’s employee portal. The mobile apps for SharePoint (both Windows Phone and…
it_user67752
Principal with 51-200 employees
Oct 29, 2013
Why SharePoint Is So Popular, Yet Gets Such A Bad Rap
It’s rare to come across an organization (typically mid or enterprise size) that doesn’t have Sharepoint deployed. In fact out of all of the large organizations I have worked with or talked with I can’t think of a single one that doesn’t have an instance of Sharepoint deployed. Many collaboration vendors today all claim that they are being used by all the Fortune 100 (and they are), Yammer recently announced that they had over 800,000 paid users. Compare this to Sharepoint which over the past 5-6 years has sold over 36 million user licenses! So it appears that Sharepoint is widely popular among many companies yet when I talk to employees at these companies it’s rare for me to hear anything positive said about the platform. It’s a bit of a conundrum, Sharepoint is…
it_user11634
Principal at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Oct 22, 2013
Choosing between SharePoint and Yammer
A caveat before we start: This post is referring to the current release of SharePoint – SharePoint 2013. If you are using SharePoint 2010 or older versions and want to introduce enterprise social networking (ESN) tools, your decision is more straightforward. Use Yammer or an equivalent product such as Jive or Newsgator, or do without until you upgrade. Here’s the summary: For organisations already using SharePoint 2013 for content management who want to leverage social networking features… Use Yammer when: Use SharePoint when: You want to use the superior social networking technology You want a social network spreading beyond your organisation There isn’t a good reason not to You want to avoid confusing users with multiple user interfaces You want to…
it_user10962
Business Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Oct 7, 2013
My advice? Run (Hell, sprint) away from Sharepoint for something more capable.
Just watched a Fortune 500 client struggle with Microsoft and their build partners to create a global enterprise CMS-driven website. 6-7 months in it turned out Sharepoint was totally incapable of delivering on many common object-oriented, tag-driven, rules-based dynamic web mamangement syste. $100,000s totally wasted. Adobe CQ5 could do almost all of it out of the box with configuration, not development required. Sharepoint also could not deliver on the desired faceted search. Over the years I have found that Sharepoint is much less capable and flexible than Microsoft or their build partners claim. My advice? Run (Hell, sprint!) away from Sharepoint for something more capable. (Like Sitecore for .NET or Adobe CQ5 for Java). Specifically Sharepoint could not handle multiple…
it_user9312
Data Expert with 51-200 employees
Oct 3, 2013
What is SkyDrive Pro in SharePoint 2013
With the release of SharePoint 2013 came a new feature that has proven to confuse almost everyone, SkyDrive Pro. The confusion lies with another Microsoft product called SkyDrive that is completely unrelated to SharePoint. Confused as well? You’re not the only one and you shouldn’t feel bad about it, I have talked with people that make a living with SharePoint who are just as confused. I am writing this to answer some of the many questions I get when speaking on SharePoint 2013 “What People want from SharePoint 2013”. First, there was SkyDrive Let’s start with the one everyone knows, SkyDrive. SkyDrive is free to the public; anyone can have a SkyDrive account it is usually attached to your Hotmail, Live or Outlook.com account. SkyDrive is a place somewhere in the “cloud” as some…
it_user9723
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Sep 17, 2013
Lync and SharePoint Integration: More Than Presence Information
Today I had a conversation with a client who is investigating using an IM/UC vendor other than Microsoft. They let me know that the vendor said they integrate with SharePoint just like Lync because “they show presence information on SharePoint sites.” So my response was “Oh really?” Then I proceeded to share several of the ways that Lync and Sharepoint integrate. I realized it would make a great blog post to share this information so here it is. Here are major ways that Lync and SharePoint integrate: 1. Online presence indicator next to an individual’s name wherever their name appears in a site collection in SharePoint. 2. Assist in providing colleague suggestions for use in My Sites, My Profiles and People Search. 3. Through Lync, provide access to SharePoint people and skills…
it_user9717
Data Expert at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Sep 13, 2013
Sharepoint–how do I hate thee?
Sharepoint is Microsoft’s document sharing and collaboration tool. It allows you to share and manage documents, and to build websites – so it’s a content management system too. In my previous role I was strapped to the mast of Sharepoint: we needed to share files across the world, previously we used shared network drives, as a byproduct individual teams can also create websites. There were close on 100,000 of us at my previous employer. The file sharing/content management schizophrenia can lead to horrible websites, on a normal website you might expect that following a link in a page will take you seamlessly to another web page to be rendered in your browser. Not in Sharepoint: the siren voice of the file sharing side means that all to often website authors are going to link you to…
it_user9321
General Manager with 51-200 employees
Sep 10, 2013
Don’t invest in SharePoint social…
(I think I am getting better at outrageous headlines to drag you in to read the post! … please don’t leave) I recently read Jeremy’s post about picking SharePoint social over Yammer “for right now” and wanted to weigh in on why I think they are not making the call I would have.  It’s all just personal opinion of course and Jeremy and I are close friends and no doubt he will attempt to convince me otherwise over a few beers shortly :) In my humble opinion the only reason you should consider using SharePoint 2013’s social features over Yammer is if your organization is 100% unable to use a cloud based service. Why? Because there isn’t a future in SharePoint on-prem social features.  It’s just not what Microsoft does when it changes direction. When Microsoft takes a bet on…
it_user8925
Developer with 51-200 employees
Sep 8, 2013
Comparing the Social Business Platforms: Sharepoint, Jive and Drupal Commons
If you were expecting me to have a real change of heart since my last review 4 years ago, you are probably going to be disappointed. This is the least favorite option of the 3 products I am reviewing in this roundup. I will do my best to explain why. 1. Cost The great news is that now with Sharepoint you have some really nice pricing options. One of my original gripes with Sharepoint was that it was extremely costly. You had a lot of upfront costs + per user costs + hardware costs + expensive Desktop software costs (Visual Studio, etc.). While many of those costs still exist for the server version, Microsoft recently added Sharepoint Online which has a much simpler pricing system. I actually reviewed both the Sharepoint Online $3 user/mo plan and the server edition on Rackspace which…
it_user9312
Data Expert with 51-200 employees
Sep 3, 2013
What does SharePoint 2013 mean to the Power Users?
Recently, we have been gradually exposed to SharePoint 2013. I mean sure, you might have been one of the 10,000 attendees at the Conference in Vegas but have you taken the time to sit down and analyze what a migration to SharePoint 2013 would mean for you? Previously, I have covered in a SharePoint 2013 migration (http://en.share-gate.com/blog/migrate-to-sharepoint-2013-introduction) series the different features and supported scenarios to help you get started. In this article, I want to focus on what SharePoint 2013 means to the Power Users. It’s all just technology If you are like me, you might get excited about the latest and greatest gadgets and features that come with a new version of a product. When SharePoint 2013 was announced I was looking at apps, the new Design Manager,…
it_user9219
Consultant with 51-200 employees
Aug 30, 2013
Challenges of using SharePoint for Library Applications
Inmagic recently blogged about the limitations of using SharePoint for library applications, and this prompted me to write this post sharing my recent experiences setting up a SharePoint site for a library catalogue. We have been working with a client to create a SharePoint 2010 site for a new resource library to manage codes, standards and related documents.  SharePoint is this client’s preferred platform, and as their processes for getting approval for any new software such as a proper integrated library system are onerous, time consuming and often futile, it was decided to just accept the limitations of SharePoint.  Once it was established that we would need to design a library catalogue in SharePoint, I went searching the web for advice and suggestions.   This in itself is not…
it_user9216
Aug 29, 2013
The problem with SharePoint social is all or nothing
The problem with SharePoint social is all or nothing. Some organizations doesn’t want to enable the personal sites but keep newsfeeds and follow! Also SharePoint social doesn’t have any alerting features. So when someone mentions you don’t receive any email and you have to check the news feed. No way of sending direct message like twitter. I feel MS decided to stop in the middle of journey because of yammer acquisition
it_user9207
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 29, 2013
When to stop using SharePoint
For a few years now I’ve been pushing myself to see what is possible with SharePoint 2010. Some of these things are small, out-of-the-box (OOTB) solutions: creating custom search scopes, customizing table styles, and messing with itemstyle.xsl. But more often than not, the solutions I like to create are the ones that go beyond what SharePoint does OOTB. I rely heavily on SPServices for a lot of these solutions. It’s a great tool that does everything I need to do with lists in SharePoint. More recently I’ve been using SharePoint’s REST service and wiring in things like Backbone.js to create some interesting solutions. Side note: if you want to see some great front-end solutions using SharePoint, check out the book Black Magic Solutions for White Hat SharePoint. Where is the line? I…