Box Review

Easy to use for customers and technologists and allows us to collaborate securely with customers in controlled conditions

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest Box Enterprise. We use it to collaborate securely with customers in controlled conditions. The general use cases are really just customer collaborations. It might be in a financial institution working with loans or selling loans. With low interest and COVID, most banks are really pushing the refinance functionality, and it is very important for banks and credit unions and even just loan brokerage companies to be able to securely, easily, and safely get information to and from their customers.

Most of the time, email is not the way to do it because either people don't know how to use email securely or the files are too large to be sent via email. That's why these file-sharing collaboration things are really popular and should be really popular with the financial industry. This is a huge use case right now.

What is most valuable?

Governance and ease of use are why I think a lot of people like Box, including ourselves. Basically, we're concerned about what information is being sent to Box, so we use a lot of the Box governance features to make sure that what is being sent to Box is appropriate. If it is not appropriate, it is not allowed to be sent. It is also pretty easy to use. It is the easiest to use for customers and for technologists.

What needs improvement?

I haven't really come across a case where we're not able to use it for what it is, so I don't really have anything holding us up or any customers holding us up at this point that I know of. There are always some limitations, but as a technologist, I just live with them, and there is always room for improvement, but I don't have anything quantifiable.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

I have seen cases where the number of people using it in an organization goes as high as 1,000.

Their support was very good. We very rarely need support, but when we did engage them, they were quick to respond and very accurate and complete.

In addition to Box and ShareFile, we also use a product called Egnyte. It is very similar to Box. I would say it is on an equal level with Box. Both Box and Egnyte are better than ShareFile.

We are in a reseller and consulting role for some companies, and some of our customers wanted to go with Box because they're a larger company. It was basically just a perception of financial stability. It was not that there was a concern that Egnyte wasn't stable. It was just a concern that they were a much smaller company. They perceive a large company as a lower risk.

They are very price competitive when pushed. Initially, they come out with a standard list price, but they are willing to be very competitive. The Box price was pretty much equal to or lower than the Citrix price, and Box has more features.

What other advice do I have?

We like this solution, and we prefer to work with the Box consulting team. Basically, for a large company, we would recommend that people work with their professional services just to get things set up quickly and completely. It is possible to do this on your own, but it is faster if you have help from Box. Their pro services are very good.

I would rate Box an eight out of ten. Eight is about as good as somebody is going to get. There is always room for improvement, but I don't have anything quantifiable to make it a ten.

More Box reviews from users
...who work at a University
...who compared it with SharePoint
Learn what your peers think about Box. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.