Spiceworks Review

It has improved response times to staff as well as providing an audit trail. I would like to see an easier means to customize the user interface.

Valuable Features

In addition to being free, it has a simple modular design with a lot of extensibility – although the plug-in format has recently changed and it has been difficult getting information on the new process.

Improvements to My Organization

When I began my current professional role, there was no formal method for tracking user requests. Exchange Public Folders were used and the promise of SCCM integration was being made. We very quickly needed a low-to-no cost way to improve accountability and tracking of open incidents/requests. Spiceworks offered everything we needed and more, and has improved response times to staff as well as providing an audit trail and growing database of information that can be referenced when similar problems arise.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see an easier means to customize the user interface, and would gladly pay a reasonable licensing fee if this were available as an additional feature. Attachment handling within a ticket could be improved; only one item can be attached at a time unless email is used. Finally, a way to strip selected blocks of text/images from emails would be huge; graphic attachments in email signatures create a mess in the UI.

Use of Solution

We've used it for three and a half years.

The deployment is excellent.

The stability is excellent, but it can be affected by poorly written 3rd party add-ins, so beware.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

Tech support - for a free product - is amazing and responsive. They treat me better than some vendors who have expensive maintenance agreements in place.

I have used several ticketing systems in my career, including CA.

Set-up is pretty simple – configuring email is probably the most complex piece.

Implementation Team

I personally handled the implementation. Create a special mailbox/mail account specifically for your help desk and let Spiceworks handle the rest. It’s good!

ROI

There was no investment, and we did not attempt to measure the cost savings resulting from the implementation.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's free.

Other Advice

Spiceworks does wonders for a free product. It’s ad supported, so watch for that. It is also flexible and customizable and probably does everything you need. Support is great, and that frankly was a surprise.