Box Overview

Box is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Digital Asset Management tools. It is most often compared to SharePoint: Box vs SharePoint

What is Box?
Box is a Modern Content Management Platform for companies of all sizes and industries. The difference that Box brings is that it offers the security and controls admins need with the sharing and collaboration capabilities end users want. Since 2005, Box has made it easier for people to securely share ideas, collaborate and get work done faster. Today, more than 43 million users and 62,000 businesses--including 59% of the Fortune 500--trust Box to manage content in the cloud. The Box platform provides HIPAA, FINRA, FedRAMP, and many other compliances to go with granular access permissions and advanced security capabilities. By using Box you can sync, share, and collaborate on all types of files, anywhere, on any device - but that's just the beginning. You can choose where to store your data, to manage your own encryption keys, and set workflows to automate content-based processes. You can also assign custom metadata tags to content, watermark sensitive content, and set file retention or legal hold policies. Box has deep, native integrations with Microsoft Office and Outlook, Google Apps for Work, Salesforce, Netsuite, Docusign, Adobe, and many other best-of-breed solutions you may already be using.
Box Buyer's Guide

Download the Box Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Box Customers
GE, Toyota, P&G, Caterpillar, Flex, Schneider Electric, Sally Beauty, Eurostar, AstraZeneca, AirBnB, Whirlpool, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Nationwide, Aeropostale etc
Box Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

IT Program Manager at a university with 10,001+ employees
We use Box for cloud storage, allowing us to focus on the service instead of maintaining infrastructure.

• "Using Box for cloud storage allows us to focus on the service and maintaining infrastructure."
  • "Improvements in speed - Box's high level of security impacts performance, especially when compared with other similar services."

What other advice do I have?

Leverage the existing community of expertise out there. Ask the sales rep to put you in touch with other customers. We're happy to talk with folks looking to deploy Box.
DS
Informationsspezialist/Generalist at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
There is no easier way to publish a document to the web.

• "Office Integration. The full integration into the Microsoft Office products is just perfect."
  • "Data privacy, regarding where to store your data: Offering several transparent(!) options (where to store my data and whether to sync back or not and where to sync) regarding the local law situations (USA, EU, Switzerland!) would increase the credibility of a US based company (after NSA ‘snooping’)."

What other advice do I have?

Check first all the possibilities where to store the data. (Where are the data servers located and how are they synchronized/mirrored.)
Learn what your peers think about Box. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IS administrator at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides file sharing and sync for internal and external customers.

What is most valuable?

Simple file sharing and sync for internal and external customers.

How has it helped my organization?

File sharing for projects and other unique activities have been greatly enhanced.

What needs improvement?

Maturity of the enterprise security around user management.

We have been using this solution between two and five years.

There were no deployment issues. Box consulting services provided an excellent, repeatable process to follow.

There were no stability issues. Core functionality remains solid.

There were no scalability issues.

How

Manager, Project Management at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Technical support people really know their stuff, Great service.

What needs improvement?

I truly believe that Box should have a box consulting division which would really enable customers who do not necessarily want to work with ISV's. I mean a division who could really help write business specific apps.

9 months

Not really

Not until now

No issues encountered so far, except for large files (we have some 50GB+ files who we now have to split up

Customer Service: Great! Technical Support: Technical support people really know their stuff, Great service.

Which solution did I use

it_user508548
User with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Box messaging has really revamped communication with in my company.The ability to collaborate around data anywhere, anytime is the most powerful features of Box.

What needs improvement?

Box is extremely user friendly, however our clients have been having a hard time adjusting and understanding Box. It would be nice to have a more seamless integration with clients.

1 year

Superb service. All of our questions are always answered in a timely manner.
IS administrator at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees

• "The ability to collaborate around data anywhere, anytime is the most powerful features of Box."
  • "Like all cloud platforms, there are always areas of improvement around sync to local devices."

What other advice do I have?

Love it!
it_user497307
Head Of Information Technology at a real estate/law firm with 11-50 employees
We are able to monitor the usage of our users, get usage tips and achieve higher user satisfaction.

• "File sharing, authorization on the back, its ease of use and reliable uptime performance are valuable features of this solution."
  • "The upload speed needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

You can use the free trial and evaluate it, before actually jumping into this great product.
CIO at a comms service provider with 1-10 employees
Provides file sharing with collaborators not on the same domain with offline access from multiple devices.

• "File sharing with collaborators not on the same domain with offline access from multiple devices: I work on many projects that are multi-organizational, such as with customers, suppliers, or acquisitions."
  • "Tasks and comments could be easier to see, report, search, and manage."

What other advice do I have?

Separate internal folders from externally shared ones and lock down the internal security so that staff can't invite non-domain users to internal folders; nice, clear demarcation.
Applications Analyst at a philanthropy with 51-200 employees
Provides dynamic/static content links for referencing on other software platforms.

What is most valuable?

Sharing content and folders with both internal and external users Editing content seamlessly w/Microsoft Office applications Dynamic/static content links for referencing on other software platforms, such as Yammer and Namely

How has it helped my organization?

Box has allowed us to access, share and edit content seamlessly as an organization.

What needs improvement?

The waterfall methodology for folders does not allow for privatization of folders at the root level, which sometimes may be necessary.

I have been using it for 5 years and counting.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have…
Information Technologist IV at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Data can be accessed without a VPN, special apps or extra authentications.

What is most valuable?

Mobile access, ease-of-sharing, securing data in transit and at rest.

How has it helped my organization?

Flexible workforce. Our employees can access content from anywhere, no-vpn, no special apps, no extra authentications.

What needs improvement?

Integrations, the more integrations the better. Office + Outlook are great but we need more like it.

3 years.

User education in the first year was our toughest challenge.

No, scales excellently.

Good

Which solution did I use previously and

Productivity & Collaboration Service manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
File and Folder sharing in the organization and outside of it.

Valuable Features

File and Folder sharing in the organization and outside of it.

Improvements to My Organization

Feature set collaboration, removes sand trap moments and reduction in email.

Room for Improvement

Search function remove layers.

Use of Solution

2 years

Customer Service: I have not had any issues with customer service. Technical Support: Very good.
Network Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
The features I have found to be most helpful are Collaboration, Security and 3rd Party Integrations.
Technical Analyst at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have gotten the most use so far from content storage.

What is most valuable?

We have gotten the most use so far from content storage, but other areas (collaboration, platform) are of keen interest for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It has taken us from archaic means of document storage (local server shares) to a completely cloud based and mobile environment. For the first time ever, our sales professionals and managers in the field are able to access company data from anywhere at any time.

We have been using Box since June 2015.

We did, with some password reset struggles which appear to be in the rear view.

We have experienced 2 major outages since deployment and both…
Application Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows for document collaboration between external vendors with internal associates
Box is a simple and sleek cloud solution to collaborate/share documents to partners. Easy to use, user friendly tool. Most amazingly it's integration with Office 365 (online) is one of the best features it has other than integrating with other with apps like Salesforce, etc. The widgets feature is amazing to provide a link to upload documents to the external vendors. The drag and drop feature for uploading multiple files at ones. Box capture will allow users to take photos of products and video recording for trainings and store fronts, etc. This uploads directly to box.com. No need to worry about storage space with the enterprise version of box.com.   With this tool we can improve: Collaboration between regional partners and US associates   Document collaboration between…
Applications Analyst at a philanthropy with 51-200 employees
I can store, edit and share content with others.
Enterprise Content Management Administrator at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Sharing and collaborating across files and folders has been a game changer.

• "Sharing and collaborating across files and folders has been a massive game changer."
  • "I would love to see the ability to invite collaborators extended to a file level, not just the folder level."

What other advice do I have?

Box is worth is, change is always uncomfortable but our staff love Box!
Collaborate Helpdesk Specialist at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
Since everyone has access to it, we can expect everyone to have access to whatever we put in it.
WW Practice Leader in Solution Architecture and Systems Engineering at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The ease of using Box on multi-platforms, including my phone and tablet, along with the collaboration features means I've been able to use it with my family.

Valuable Features:

The ease of using Box on multi-platforms, including my phone and tablet, along with the collaboration features means I've been able to use it with my family (including my non-tech-savvy parents) for simple sharing, as well as with colleagues for team collaboration.

Room for Improvement:

The security settings are such that if I have a folder with subfolders several levels deep, whatever security setting I have for the parent folder gets inherited at all the subfolders. This has been limiting.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.
it_user5442
CEO with 51-200 employees
Awesome solution that works on many devices...

Valuable Features:

Awesome solution that works on many devices.

Room for Improvement:

I wish the search was faster, like a google search.
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great Storage Size, sub-par customer service.

What other advice do I have?

My biggest problem with Box.net is the lack of a free desktop syncing feature. They were the first out of the gate with an Android tablet app and a WebOS tablet app. They were ahead of the game everywhere but where it counted, unfortunately.