PeopleSoft Overview

PeopleSoft is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Demand Management tools. It is most often compared to Oracle HCM Cloud: PeopleSoft vs Oracle HCM Cloud

What is PeopleSoft?
Oracle's PeopleSoft applications are designed to address the most complex business requirements. They provide comprehensive business and industry solutions, enabling organizations to increase productivity, accelerate business performance, and provide a lower cost of ownership.
PeopleSoft Buyer's Guide

Download the PeopleSoft Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

PeopleSoft Customers
BMI Healthcare, Lone Star College System, Jefferson County Public Schools, Griffith University, Los Rios Community College District, Tervita Corporation, INFRA S.A. de C.V., ICF Habitat, Central Washington University, Tech Mahindra Limited, Cognizant Technology Solutions, Stanford Childrens Health
PeopleSoft Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JG
Director, Client Services at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

Self-service for employee data changes Time and expenses reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

HR/payroll is integrated with Financials, so we don't have to enter data in two places.  Easy to use.

What is most valuable?

Self-service and mobile/fluid.

What needs improvement?

More/better reporting tools and ease of testing effort.
KA
Business/Systems Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has great depth of application functionality and flexibility of developing and integrating with others

What is our primary use case?

We use PeopleSoft to: * Manage HR globally * Take care of payroll for all US employees (both salary and hourly at all plants in different states and localities). * Administer benefits and compensation and integrating with all outside benefit vendors and state/federal tax agencies.

What other advice do I have?

Spend more time in deciding the architecture and hosting environment based on the experience (virtualization, database, clustering, load balancing, server platform) on the technology side. To provide quicker benefits to the whole population, build a 2FA solution from the beginning and provide all self-service functionality right from the beginning (that can include all benefits and related documentation online) — that way management would see clear benefits.
Learn what your peers think about PeopleSoft. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Financial System Analyst at City of Richmond
It features integration with Human Capital Management. Features such as Query, Pivot Grids, and Test Framework need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use PeopleSoft as our ERP system. It is used for everything we do except for work order management, property tax revenue, and community service management. We had to use other systems for these applications.

• "The integration between Human Capital Management (HCM) and PeopleSoft is an important feature."
  • "Services that need improvement include PeopleSoft Query, Pivot Grids, and PeopleSoft Test Framework."
Business Analyst Sr at a university with 10,001+ employees
Its flexibility in configuration is its most valuable feature

• "Flexibility in configuration."
  • "Initial setup can be complex without training or use of consultants."

What other advice do I have?

Research all possible options and ask plenty of questions as well as visiting one or two sites where the product has been installed and talk to users. Become part of the networking group.
Sr Manager, Finance Systems at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
The software, and synchronization of business processes, streamlined shared service departments by 40%

• "The synchronization of business processes, and the software, streamlined the shared service departments to run 40% leaner."
  • "Agile system configurations to accommodate business dynamics."

What other advice do I have?

We use General Ledger, Billing, Accounts Receivable, Projects, Asset Management, Payroll, Accounts Payable. All would be rated an eight out of 10 as we developed solutions to fill "product gaps" that were part of later application releases. We had an army of consultants from different organizations who collaborated and delivered the most vital aspect of scalability — a solid foundation to build upon. We also dedicated subject matter experts for each application and a team that ensured the "big picture" (e.g. consolidated reporting, operational and audit checks and balances, etc.) to work with…
Business Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
A valuable feature is HCM. I would like to see a better UI.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is HCM.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a better UI.

The setup was complex because we have a union and our benefits are so complex.

We implemented via a vendor.
Founder at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
Provides ERP application information. I would like to see more enhanced features and user-friendly elements.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is ERP application information.

What needs improvement?

Having applications which provide more enhanced features and user-friendly elements.

We have been using this solution for 10 years.

We did have issues with Push notification and Fluid options.

There were no scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is good. Technical Support: Technical support is good.

We did not use a solution before this one.

The setup was…
Tech Lead Application Development at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
Provides fluid interfaces.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is FSCM.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides fluid interfaces.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better support, bug fixing, and documentation.

We have been using this solution for 15 years.

There were issues with deployment.

There were issues with stability.

There were issues with scalability.

Customer Service: I would give customer service a rating of 5/10. Technical Support: I would give technical support a rating of 5/10.

What about the

Owner at a tech company with 1-10 employees
The most valuable feature is IDE.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is IDE.

How has it helped my organization?

It offers faster deployment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvement in the UI.

We have been using this for 20 years.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

The setup was complex due to different components.
IT Delivery Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The most valuable feature for us is the integration between the HR Payroll and Financials modules. We really like the way they link and work together because there are no duplicate entries.

• "The most valuable feature for us is the integration between the HR Payroll and Financials modules"
  • "My developers want to use more HTML instead of the specialized tool, PeopleTools because, they say, it's better from a user perspective."

What other advice do I have?

Get your users on board and engaged. That's the number one thing. Get them in their training, which, unfortunately, is the first thing people always cut from implementation, and that's the last thing they should cut. When you're implementing a new product, you don't want to cut training.
AP
Principal at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
From the time you set up the master data information and set up the contracts, you are able to create transactions.

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty user-friendly product. It's intuitive. You can figure a lot of things out on your own.
Senior Applications Software Analyst
We're happy with the support Oracle provides.

What is most valuable?

There are so many features like Campus Solutions, Payroll, and student finance.

How has it helped my organization?

Users are more comfortable using the system.

What needs improvement?

Processing speed and user-friendliness.

Three years.

Financial aid setup needs some improvements.

None regarding stability.

No. The software is 100% scalable.

Customer Service: Excellent, since Oracle support is always available. Technical Support: Excellent since Oracle support has a 100% reliability in…
Senior Technical Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
By having an on-prem system, our infrastructure team has control of the system/DB and hardware.

What is most valuable?

One of the best on-prem ERP systems on the market with robust features. It is a complete suite with modules that fully cover all the needs of any business. Also, it is highly customizable.

How has it helped my organization?

Our business is very unique and we need a system that allows to be extended and customized to meet the needs of our users and customers.

What needs improvement?

Upgrades are lengthy and costly.

Over 7 years.

By having a team of experienced analysts and the use of consultants and good project managers the deployment was flawless.

By having an on-prem system, our infrastructure team…
Sr. Peoplesoft Administrator at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
The HR and payroll features are the biggest flagship of this product.

What other advice do I have?

This would depend on the type of business again. PeopleSoft is a market leader for a reason, but if you look from the economic side, there are other solutions out there too which are much cheaper. They can select the product based on the size of their company; it doesn't have to be PeopleSoft and could be something else too like Salesforce, etc. But again, this depends on the nature of the business; for example, if you talk about the Big Five and the other big giants, like the US Army. For that kind of complexity, PeopleSoft would be the best solution available so far.
Snr System Analyst at CMPA
It’s highly configurable. Customization causes problems during upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

Don't customize it; absolutely, do not customize it. Change your business process to suit the software’s needs. Don't modify the software.
PeopleSoft Finance Functional Lead (Contractor) at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Business processes are solid.

What other advice do I have?

I've seen Oracle Financials; I've seen SAP. PeopleSoft is a very solid and robust product. Like I said, they have captured the best of the best business processes. Coupled with that, the technology is very stable and the scalability is there.
Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
It can be used in many applications such as receivables, payables, and general ledger.

What is most valuable?

I like its wide variety and its use in many applications; receivables, payables, general ledger.

What needs improvement?

I think the reporting can probably be improved; probably more detailed financial reports.

I have been using it for 10 years.

It's more or less stable.

The scalability is fair.

Technical support's gotten weaker over the years. I think that’s because there are fewer people; PeopleSoft's being phased out.

Initial setup is somewhat complex. You have to know what your business is and what you want to do.

What

Senior Account Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It provides me the right fields and gives me some predictive information as well. the report fields are mostly US centric, and do not support other regions.

What other advice do I have?

I think the evaluation criteria that we used was pretty good. If I had a colleague that was looking at this kind of solution, I would provide them information about what I’ve learned from the product evaluation exercise, the product and the option exercise, in terms of the importance of reinforcing the training element, so they can use it correctly and so on. Hopefully, a new user would gain perspective from that. When I’m looking at a vendor such as Oracle, I think it's important to be in sync with the latest trends in the market, especially in the CRM area. There's an on-the-cloud feature…
Head of IT Applications at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
It improved payroll calculations and control, and employee visibility.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful with consulting. We have had a difficult time identifying consultants in Latin America (mostly in Brazil).
Project Manager / Oracle Peoplesoft HCM Functional Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The Strategic Module includes valuable features such as Profile Management, Performance Management, and Career Planning.

What other advice do I have?

If the organization has a sufficient budget and wants to manage talent and support business objectives, then this is the answer.
Director of Business Development at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
I find that the user interface is very comfortable and convenient to use. It's pretty intuitive for what I need to do.

What other advice do I have?

There's always room for improvement, but we're overall happy with the solution.
GL and Reporting Business Consultant at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
We use the allocation tool and have pretty intense allocations, so that works pretty well for us.

What other advice do I have?

You have to be flexible and open to ideas and know that it's not going to be a perfect solution. This isn't a reflection, I think, of Oracle or, in our case, IBM, our contractor. They were just the experts we brought in to help us.
Team Lead at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
It does what we need it to do -- financial reports of accounts payable, T&O, and T&E.

What other advice do I have?

It's good and we're pretty satisfied with it. Make sure you go with the latest version of PeopleSoft, but also make sure you plan and have the right people and resources trained to know the system. If you're new, get a demo and have a plan.
Sr. IT Solution Supervisor at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The SOAP and REST features are the most valuable features. We can have multiple web services created and multiple consumers can use them together.
Sr. Test Engineer/Analyst at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Once you get the feel of it and learn how to use it, the ease of use and performance are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

How you use it will depend on the size of your organization and the number of transactions you do on your backend. If you have a small shop, there are other more suitable ERP solutions on the market that you can implement quicker.
Manager Accounts Payable Shared Services at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature is the collaboration that it provides between our procurement/purchasing and accounts payable.
Sr Advisor, Delivery Executive ERP at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature is the continuous roll-out of bug fixes, new features, and functionalities.

What other advice do I have?

You need to understand your core business processes. What are you really looking to get out of a software application? The application can do whatever you want it to do. Look at what your core processes are, look at what the application offers, and change your processes to fit that software. Also, the more vanilla you can go, the easier it is, the better it is and the more value you're going to see when you go do PUMS, when you go to DBK, and you add all those bells and whistles.
Systems Manager at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides an enterprise solution where all the reporting is in our own centralized system.

What other advice do I have?

Setup and configuration is key. It takes a lot. It depends on where you come from, though. If you're coming from another software that integrates, it's an easy implementation, but if you're coming from a thirty-year-old mainframe system, you're going to have some tough times ahead.
Programmer, Analyst, Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows our business users to access information in a format that easier for them to digest than just raw data.

Valuable Features

There are several new features in the PeopleSoft tool set that I've found particularly valuable, such as grid control and related actions.

Improvements to My Organization

It allows our business users to access information in a format that's easier for them to digest than just raw data.

Room for Improvement

The main area for improvement would be with performance in some cases, specifically with migrations. We've had to address some of those issues recently.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's pretty stable, but it does depend on the release, like how early you are on the release that you are adopting. Stability on a particular version becomes better after a certain release of that version.

Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's fully integrated with our HR and finance departments and works well throughout our campus infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

The way they've been supporting us, the way they've been upgrading the technology, I think it's great. There's only a few ERP as far as campus solutions go out there, and they're probably the best one.
Sr. Manager at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
We've been able to customize it and add various modules for our needs.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features most important to me are the web solution, the web interface, and the integration with other ECM products.

Improvements to My Organization:

We've been able to customize it and add various modules to suit our suits. It's very flexible.

Room for Improvement:

I know they have come up with some good analytical terms in the latest version, but I would like to see it improved further.

Deployment Issues:

This is an area I would warn others about. I've worked on several implementations and there's a long period of time within which PeopleSoft needs to be implemented. It also comes at a high cost depend on how many modules that are implemented at one time.

Stability Issues:

It's been stable. We haven't had any issues of instability. …
Procurement Analyst at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
We can track our contracts and the release against those contracts. The current flow in the UI feel very clunky in comparison to the UI's of other sites.

What is most valuable?

With the way that my agency uses PeopleSoft, the most valuable feature of it is the ability it gives us to track our contracts and the release against those contracts.

What needs improvement?

The UI and appearance of People Soft needs a lot of upgrading and modernization. The current flow in the UI feel very clunky in comparison to the UI's of other sites.

I've used it for approximately two and a half years.

We upgraded to 9.2 last spring, so we've gone through that year-long cycle of challenges and getting it back up to running as smoothly as it was before.

Generally, it's stable. We haven't had any…
Sr Enterprise Database Admin at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)
We have other applications we run, so it's important that PeopleSoft can interface with them and everything works together.
Lead Oracle / Peoplesoft DBA at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
We like the ability to fully customize it for our needs when it comes to HR management.

What other advice do I have?

There are other modules, but HR is one of the most popular modules in PeopleSoft so it should be used heavily by federal government, state government, and all other private sector businesses.
Vice President, Senior Applications Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows for some configurability without coding, but initial deployment is a complex process.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend for people to look around at other vendor software. It of course depends on the needs of that business. I think it’s a good product it has its problems because the software is made to fit across many organizations as Oracle tries to make it fit across many industries. However, I definitely enjoy working with the software as I have been working with them for so long.
Payroll Management Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Its flexibility allows us to integrate it into our IT infrastructure, but payroll processes linked to time control could use improvement.
Lead Technical Analyst - ERP Systems at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It integrates with our existing infrastructure and we're able to customize it for our business needs.

What other advice do I have?

You need to analyze what the current state of your company is and consider what your needs are. PeopleSoft is definitely a great product though.