Pega BPM Overview

Pega BPM is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Low-Code Development Platforms. It is most often compared to Camunda Platform: Pega BPM vs Camunda Platform

What is Pega BPM?

Pega BPM helps you simplify and automate your operations so that you can reduce costs and improve business agility. Pega's unique Build For Change technology delivers repeatable solutions that can be efficiently reused and tailored to meet the requirements of diverse customers, product lines, channels, and geographies.

Pega BPM is also known as Pegasystems, SmartBPM.

Pega BPM Buyer's Guide

Download the Pega BPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Pega BPM Customers

The State of Maine, ANZ, Coca-Cola, Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA), ME, New South Wales, OptumRx, Texas Department of Transportation, UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement

Pega BPM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pega BPM pricing:
  • "We mostly have a yearly license."
  • "The price of this solution, including installation and configuration, is comparable to competing vendors."

MallikKesavaraju
Scaled Agile Consultant at Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
Good case management and BPM workflow with easy cloud implementation

What is our primary use case?

The solution is basically a quoting application. When insurance brokers or internal users have to call or do insurance quotes for commercial insurance, we use Pega. The insurance we cover is for outdoor coverage and for a casualty to property, as well as casualty insurance.

• "The solution's case management is its most valuable aspect."
  • "They are currently spending some time on improving the product with respect to machine learning, especially related to robotic automation. They probably could be a little more adept on that area would help."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Pega. Pega BPM is definitely one of the topmost BPM packages out there. It hits all the right notes for a containerized implementation. The only thing you need to be careful is that you definitely need experts to help you along the way, in both the design and the requirements capture. They have an excellent requirements capture tool as well. However, if somebody needs to be trained on that, you need the help of experts, both on the software architecture as well as business architecture as well as the Pega admin. Eventually, these…
RM
Assistant Vice President at Barclays Bank
Easier to use than other products and is more secure

• "It is easy to use, easy to understand, easy to implement and easy to enhance and we can do it as a Cloud. Also it is very user friendly."
  • "Sometimes when we are patching some data from the database, we are getting added as a timeout."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely let people know about it. Let me give you a scenario. Let's say there is a banking system. Generally, people come to the bank, fill out the form, and submit it. Then a record will be created in the system. So what happens by using the Pega BPM is that we can clearly identify the flow - how you do it by using the different user input tasks. This is appealing to the user, to the customers, to everyone. Definitely I would like to get a return on that and let them know that if they use this BPM tool, more than any other technology tool, it has the most complete set of tools for…
Learn what your peers think about Pega BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,521 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Björn Podlaha
Principal Business Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
All the features that are related to case management are outstanding

What is our primary use case?

We use it for some insurance companies for underwriting.

• "The workflow designing and integration are the most valuable features. Also, the UI design was pretty easy."
  • "It's called a local platform but on the other hand, it needs a lot of experience. It's not all that easy to click and plug and play. If you really want to use all the features out of this platform, you definitely need a lot of experience and a lot of training to get there."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to have a focus on what the main purpose of the VPN platform is. Are you really looking for a VPN platform, something that is gathering all the VPN processes in the whole company, or is it just for reporting some processes like a customer process and connecting it to an SAP process? If you are planning to use Pega as your main platform, then it's a really good choice. On the other hand, if you have different software in your company like microservices or other big platforms like SAP, then you really should think if adding Pega as another big solid piece of software is really…
SS
Digital Engineering Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
One of the best solutions in terms of performance, capability, and stability

What is our primary use case?

We are developing campaigns and business solutions on top of Pega. It is a part of the campaign management solution that we have. We are also using it for the core business. We are offering personalized content, personalized product, and personalized information for each of our customers. Pega is one of the main products for us for pricing, catalog, and content. It is being used for everything.

• "I have a lot of experience in this kind of industry, and Pega is one of the best solutions in terms of performance, capabilities, and the way we develop."
  • "It should have integration with non-relational databases. A lot of databases are non-relational, and as a company, we are planning to move to NoSQL or open-source databases. It would be good if we are able to install and use Pega on a NoSQL database. They can also try to tailor or organize the company a bit differently and go more towards the microservice concept. I would like Pega to develop machine learning and intelligent AI algorithms. They have a good foundation in terms of the model and the stuff that we are using for some customers, and it will be good to onboard as many machine learning algorithms as possible."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I have been recommending it to different customers across Europe. It is a professional product, but you should know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are doing, you might think it does nothing, but if you are mature enough to understand the power and potential of Pega, you can do magic with it. You should have the know-how, and you should know a customer's expectations. One of the reasons why some customers are getting a lot of success is because we have Pega and Data Lake or big data platforms close to each other. Data Science runs the algorithm…
JT
Senior Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 51-200 employees
An extremely powerful platform that provides the ability to define processes, build reports, and get insight on data

What is our primary use case?

It is a multi-tenant offering for developing applications. We have its latest version.

• "The ability to define processes, build reports, and get insights or analytics on data is most valuable. It is a powerful platform."
  • "The way the IDE works with the chatbox and the taxonomy imports could be a little smoother."

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give is that when spinning, think about if you're setting up a private one. You should also think about your tenant or your organizational control structure for multi-tenancy so that you can have a mix of licenses for tenants while not overly complicating and having to maintain tons of different work control layers. Before you start up an app, take a look, run the wizards, and see what you can reuse from the structure. Its wizards are very good to use when starting up. There are a lot of powerful data models and workflows that you can use as starting points. You can…
Giovanni Vanini
Director at PricewaterhouseCoopers
A complete solution in terms of functionality with processes specialized using the situational layer cake

What is our primary use case?

We do not use this solution in my organization. We are consultants and we act as a third-party for our clients. This solution is used to orchestrate processes across different parts of the infrastructure. All of the activities are coordinated and controlled, managed by a unique platform where they can keep track of everything.

• "The most valuable feature is the situational layer cake."
  • "Compared to other BPM products, the interface is somewhat complex, so the usability could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to make sure that they understand it. For example, we are certified in the usage of Pega BPM. It's a very complete product but it is not a simple one. They need to use the right, structured approach to implement it properly. Pega is not a product for a client with small needs. If anything, when setting up Pega you should think bigger and put things in place for what will be needed to lead the team in the right direction in the future. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
NA
Director (Delivery) at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good integrations, excellent workflows, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The use cases vary. The solution is useful for various types of processes such as client onboarding, opening and processing accounts, policies and quotes, claim registration and reimbursement, underwriting, etc.

• "The solution offers excellent workflows."
  • "There are some UX shortcomings within the solution. However, it's my understanding that they have addressed them and in the next three months they will come out with a new updated version. They will be moving away from HTML5."

What other advice do I have?

We have a business relationship with Pega. We handle both on cloud or on-premises deployments according to the client's needs. Many financial institutions prefer on-premises, because of the data security. However, even some of the banks have opted for cloud as well. I'd advise other organizations to get a good partner and take time to compare other options and to do a roadmap. Not every product is suitable for every scenario, so it's important to do a bit of research first. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
MikhailLyubimov
Managing Director, Intelligent Automation Practice, Business Consulting at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
An excellent enterprise-level solution which is the leader in BPM and case management solutions

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution anywhere we have to manage processes. I have a large portfolio of clients in financial, health care, life sciences, etc., and I use the solution for all of them.

• "The interface is quite simple and easy to use, even for beginners."
  • "Pega currently is trying to add chatbots to their systems, and it's still quite immature. This part definitely needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We are using both public and private cloud and on-premises deployment solutions. We're using product versions seven and eight and have previously used product version six. We’re a Pega partner. I would rate the solution ten out of ten.
See 8 more Pega BPM Reviews
Download our free Pega BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.