Pega BPM Overview

Pega BPM is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Low-Code Development Platforms. It is most often compared to Camunda Platform: Pega BPM vs Camunda Platform

What is Pega BPM?

Pega BPM helps you simplify and automate your operations so that you can reduce costs and improve business agility. Pega's unique Build For Change technology delivers repeatable solutions that can be efficiently reused and tailored to meet the requirements of diverse customers, product lines, channels, and geographies.

Pega BPM is also known as Pegasystems, SmartBPM.

Pega BPM Buyer's Guide

Download the Pega BPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Pega BPM Customers

The State of Maine, ANZ, Coca-Cola, Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA), ME, New South Wales, OptumRx, Texas Department of Transportation, UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement

Pega BPM Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AS
Financial Analyst at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Rapid renew structure allows for better implementation over other solutions and aids clients in serving their customers

What is our primary use case?

We use the Pega BPM platform for helping companies establish, expand, or solidify their business process management and workflows.

• "Powerful, full-featured business process management with excellent support"
  • "Lack of stronger cloud support is somewhat inconvenient for users and implementation."

What other advice do I have?

I would place Pega BPM at around an 8.5 out of 10 because of the cloud and RPA issues. However, Pega is an excellent choice. It is efficient and does what it is supposed to do. It is extremely important to choose the right product and implementation partner. What the customer should be looking for in terms of an implementation partner is the quality of resources that they have, it is not the quantity. The Pega resources are classified into solution updates, frequent solution updates and new solution updates. An implementation partner needs to have a core team that brings the solution together…
Oleksii Prokopovych
PRPC Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers extra force in doing common tasks like OLS, solving situations, and reporting

What is our primary use case?

The most valuable features of Pega are the integrations that come out of the box. You have extra force in doing some common tasks like OLS, solving situations, or reporting.

• "While Pega technical support is okay, it also depends on the issues you need help with and who your contact is with Pega."
  • "What should be included is some UI features and maybe some integrations. This includes documentation on how the UI works."

What other advice do I have?

My main advice is to look over the solutions for each customer base to understand the main features in Pega and what should be done or shouldn't be done. In my experience, I've met some people who say that Pega is quite expensive and hadn't even the slightest idea of how to use it and these features. My main advice is just to get acquainted with Pega as a solution. I will give it a score of eight out of ten. It's quite good.
Learn what your peers think about Pega BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,521 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AlokPillai
Functional Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy integration through API and web services leads to faster deployment and better efficiency

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for case management systems.

• "The most valuable features are case management and integration services."
  • "The unit testing needs to improve, as well as the user interface."

What other advice do I have?

This product is pretty easy to work with. Sometimes you need experts, and it can be difficult to find Pega experts. Otherwise, it's a good tool to work with. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Mallik Kesavaraju
Associate Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User interface and ease of workflow development help cut down on dev time

What is our primary use case?

I help clients do digital transformations, so I've been consulting with CIOs, C-level executives, to implement solutions around Pega BPM. One example is for a commercial insurance company, it is a quoting system for their brokers. For a retail management company, it could be something like their human resources onboarding system.

• "It cuts down the time taken for coding. Earlier it used take for us four hours to do a particular code. Now this can be done in less than 30 minutes. That's the kind of productivity gains you can get."
  • "The user interface and the ease of developing the workflow for an application are valuable features."
  • "The biggest thing I have seen is when going from one version to another and upgrading to the latest version, it takes a pretty long time for an organization to go through an upgrade process. I think that's an area where they can make it a little smoother."
  • "There have been some performance scalability issues. Suppose you want to add more users. You go from, say, 800 users to 1,500 users, and sometimes that creates issues for which there is no clear explanation. To fix it you have to escalate it with customer service and sometimes the response is not up to the mark in resolving those issues."
  • "It is scalable, but it also interacts with a lot of other systems. I think they thought that the interface to other systems, legacy systems, was its strength, but when problems do occur, quickly diagnosing those problems has been a challenge."

What other advice do I have?

You really need to know how you are going to use this product. Is it for customer service? Is it for marketing? Is it for robotic automation? Is it for other things? You also need to work with your business partners to clearly define the processes a user goes through to achieve the desired end result. So you have to do some "pre-work" before you buy this product or before you install this product. Licenses are expensive. You cannot start the process after you buy because then you are wasting the license dollars. If you are using this product for business process management be aware that…
Brent Reed
Founder at Tactec Strategic Solutions Inc.

What is our primary use case?

Real-time operational case management and live reporting of key arrival and departure information, including live operational data feeds from both internal and external data sources on web and mobile devices.

• "Decreased time for plane departures and landing, supported analytical insight for planning of three to six month forecasting, and helped with operational decision planning and support."
  • "Allowed us to develop and quickly release with confidence using cloud technologies."
  • "Pega Cloud early adoption and use for cross enterprise capability was new to many. The early adoption meant version 2.0 of their cloud service may require refactoring and redesign of some services."
it_user745629
Lead software architect, engenering manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Most valuable feature is the fast prototyping

What is most valuable?

Fast prototyping.

How has it helped my organization?

Nothing compares with custom development.

What needs improvement?

UX Business specific functionality

Three years.

Yes. Product failed to start periodically. No tolerance to DB outages.

We did not have significant load, but one physical server instance was able to serve around 100 concurrent users.

Four out of 10. They try to push all issues to the implementation team.

Customer decision.

Straightforward. …
Download our free Pega BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.