Workday Review

Easy reporting, robust security, great reliability, and covers most of the use cases

What is our primary use case?

We are using several modules of Workday for the employees in our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using an on-premises application in the past. The upgrade time for that application used to be a project in itself, lasting one year. With Workday being a cloud application and SaaS model, the upgrade process is no more a nightmare. It gets updated overnight.

The support team for this on-premises application used to be a larger team. Now it is a smaller team. We have reduced the staff that supports this application, and there is no cost for the upgrade. There is an update every six months, and it is free.

What is most valuable?

The reporting feature is quite easy for a layman to use, and the look and feel of the application is good. Its security is robust. You will never find a use case that cannot be covered.

What needs improvement?

They don't offer any backend database access. This is one limitation that I found in this product. Workday hasn't opened up about what kind of database they are into, which can make it easy for the technical team to emulate issues. It would be good if they can offer backend access to the technical team.

It would be helpful if they can also provide a Troubleshooting Guide that we can use to troubleshoot issues. When we have an issue, there are very limited resources to refer to.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It is a very steady product. Its reliability is 100%. Of late, we haven't experienced any bug that we had to report to Workday.

They have recently come up with a feature using which the clients can customize, but we are yet to explore it. Our HR partner, Skills partner, and Talent partner are the users of this solution. We also have technical teams to manage its integration.

We haven't adapted this solution a hundred percent because it can never be a hundred percent. You always have the scope to grow. They keep on coming up with new features, and it takes time to adapt to those features. By the time you do that, they come up with more features.

I never used their support.

We were using Oracle PeopleSoft. We switched primarily because of the cost and our requirement to upgrade to the cloud. Basically, we were looking to migrate from the on-premises model. A cloud application is much faster than an on-premises application.

The initial setup is quite easy. Anyone who has the domain knowledge can do it. It was around a seven-month journey. We implemented it module-wise in various phases. We did two modules per month. We first did the Team module. After that, we went into the Absence module and then into the Performance module.

We had a dedicated convergent team with two people, a functional team with four experts, and an integration team with four people for integrating it with other third-party stuff. It was an eight to ten members team, and it took six months for the full-fledged implementation.

It is pretty early to comment on that. We will analyze this as we proceed with the application, but as of now, we are seeing more employee engagement. Employees are kind of spending more time using the application as compared to our previous on-premises HR solution. We can do surveys in the application, make announcements using dashboards, and do other such things to engage employees with the application.

Its price is pretty high. It is more expensive than what is offered by other competitors in the market.

It was a long list of vendors, and we had taken demos from all. It was like a four-month journey for us before we arrived at a conclusion. As compared to other solutions, Workday is on the costlier side. It is costlier than what is being offered for similar products from Oracle and other vendors, but from the stability perspective, it has got good credibility. What we saw from the demo matched what we were looking for.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to be cautious while selecting a product. Selecting the product is a crucial phase, and you have to know whether the product meets your requirements because you have really limited customization options in a cloud product.

There is a great amount of support from Workday for implementation. There are also implementation partners in the market.

I would rate Workday an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
More Workday reviews from users
...who compared it with SAP SuccessFactors
Learn what your peers think about Workday. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.