ServiceNow Overview

ServiceNow is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to BMC Helix ITSM: ServiceNow vs BMC Helix ITSM

What is ServiceNow?

Now, with the ServiceNow System of Action, every employee, customer, and machine can make requests on a single cloud platform. Every department working on tasks can assign and prioritize, collaborate, get down to root cause issues, gain real-time insights, and drive to action. Your employees are energized, your service levels improve, and you realize game-changing economics. Work at lightspeed.(TM)

ServiceNow Buyer's Guide

Download the ServiceNow Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

ServiceNow Customers

AAA, AstraZeneca, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Broadcom, Christus Health, Epicor, Equinix, GE Capital, Intuit, KPMG, Loyola Marymount University, OshKosh, Quantas, RedHat, Royal Bank of Scotland, Swiss Re, U.S. Department of Energy, Safeway, Yale University, and Zillow

ServiceNow Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ServiceNow pricing:
  • "$230 per user."
  • "The mandatory minimum is US$ 20,000 for licensing."
  • "The setup cost is high compared to others, especially when the scope is not fixed."

ServiceNow Reviews

CG
reviewer1550787
PM at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 10, 2021
Good automatic workflows, excellent technical support, and has the capability to scale

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for tickets and we use it for order processing. We use the product for incident management, asset management, and service management. Those are the three big use cases. It's mostly asset management.

• "If you stick to the out-of-the-box solution, it's an easy setup."
  • "The licensing needs to be divided into tiers in order to attract lower-level users."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user. We are using the FAAS version of the solution currently. I would advised those companies considering the solution to take advantage of what the programs do rather rather than try to lift and shift. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall.
reviewer1395327
Senior Management Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Nov 17, 2020
Easy to integrate with other legacy systems and is constantly improving as a company

What is our primary use case?

IT Service Management

• "It's easy to integrate. For instance, yesterday we closed the integration with SAP for the IP business management module to manage the forecast of projects. We created an interface between ServiceNow and SAP to control projects for accounting and on the forecast of the project. It was really easy. We don't have any problems with ServiceNow at the moment. As a company, they are improving constantly."
  • "All the screens are similar. It's the same platform for everything and you need to familiarize yourself with it. In the past, you used to have one screen per application. Now, you have everything integrated into one. Everybody will manage the same screen and they need to navigate into the same screen as the Internet Explorer with a toolbar with the categories and look for the things you want to see or the models you want to use."

What other advice do I have?

Before you move forward with this kind of implementation, you need to make a cultural change in the organization to understand that the way you used to work is no longer a valid way to work and you need to work in an integrated way. If you do not adapt your mindset and make a real adoption of new and integrated methods, I would not recommend moving forward with the implementation of these kinds of solutions because it's totally integrated. In the next release, I would like to see more Spanish options available. I would rate ServiceNow a ten out of ten. I remember when was SAP created, it was…
Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
475,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vinod Kanna
Software Development Manager & UX / UI enthusiast at Accelya World SLU
Dec 3, 2020
Detailed reporting and analysis are extremely beneficial as are all the management features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this product is for incident and change management. We are customers of ServiceNow and I work as a senior software development engineer.

• "Very good incident management, chain management and problem management features."
  • "Very expensive."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, it's really an excellent tool in comparison to the current market tools like SCP and a lot of other tools out there. I can rank it as number one. The price is the only factor which is an issue. Because of Covid, companies are thinking about how to reduce licensing costs. I've made a comparison between ServiceNow and other tools, and I'm not satisfied with the others. But licensing costs are so high that we sometimes have to go for other products for our customers. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10. If they would lover the price, I'd rate it a 10 out…
Larry Finlay
Global Service Management Lead, Powered Enterprise at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Aug 13, 2020
Automates some of the more menial tasks while accounting for our need to develop

What is our primary use case?

I have two primary uses of ServiceNow: 1. As our ITSM Platform for providing Application Managed Services (AMS) to Enterprise clients who have solutions on Oracle, Workday, Coupa, and ServiceNow. NOTE: Other groups within my firm also use ServiceNow to provide IT Service Management to clients on Microsoft, SalesForce, and other major vendors. We have multiple production instances for delivering Service Desk support to various client install bases, including this one for my above mentioned AMS business. 2. As the ITSM platform for our internal, global support framework. This is a separate… more »

• "ServiceNow has also enabled our Management Consulting business to provide Digital Transformation services for our clients the world over, as we use the platform as an accelerator for doing IT Target Operating Model transformations."
  • "I am interested to see the firm's strategic plans for Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML), and how the particular areas it will expand on from its existing investments (that feature, for example, in its ITSM Pro and CSM Pro modules)."
PP
reviewer1100871
Practice Manager, Automation & Orchestration at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Jun 28, 2020
Cloud platform that supports large IT services, stable and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We run thousands of automations.

• "ServiceNow was the first true enterprise to service management platform."
  • "Service mapping could be less complicated."

What other advice do I have?

I manage an automation orchestration team. The focus of my team is external, not internal. The company uses ServiceNow. We are one of the largest and older consumers of ServiceNow. The members of my team have ServiceNow practice, infrastructure automation practice, could management platforms, containers practice, and DevOps. Our team is focused on helping other organizations adopt and adapt to ServiceNow. ServiceNow is in the cloud, it's basically remedy in the cloud. ServiceNow doesn't get deployed unless you are a Federal Agency because they have their own data centers. ServiceNow only…
DM
reviewer1382043
Director at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 8, 2020
Can assign sub-tasks to different teams but lacks metric monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use ServiceNow for incident management. There is a team which interacts with the customers and logs customer issues as incidents. Then those incidents are taken care of by my team. I work on the escalation side of that team. That is one aspect of ServiceNow. The second thing we use it for are any economic, long-term or repetitive problems. We log problem tickets which are resolved in ServiceNow. The third use is for changes in the system. All the changes to the system are logged in ServiceNow with their associated tasks. Those are the three major use cases for ServiceNow.

• "The feature that I have found most valuable from ServiceNow is the ability to assign sub-tasks to different teams, including problem tickets and the regular and chain tasks."
  • "The major area for improvement for our needs would be monitoring the metrics of the times to acknowledge and resolve issues and escalations."

What other advice do I have?

You need to find a tool that suits your needs. For example, the ServiceNow tool has certain advantages but at this point, one of the major things I'm looking for is tracking an escalation based on acknowledging the resolution. Meaning, I'm looking for something which is different compared to ServiceNow. It probably depends on your needs but for certain use cases, it does work very well, and maybe you need to do a deep dive or evaluate it before you buy anything. On a scale of one to ten I would rate ServiceNow a seven.
NC
reviewer1508391
Advisor at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Apr 6, 2021
Awesome support, good stability, provides visibility, and helps us in meeting our SLAs

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for ticketing, reporting, and changes as well as for operations and incident handling. We always use one version prior to the latest one within the environment.

• "It enables us to meet SLAs, track issues across the environment, and report those issues."
  • "The level of complexity and the level of discovery are the two areas that can be improved. Its UI needs to evolve. They focus a lot on cool colors and other little things, which don't bring value in terms of functionality. They need to focus less on presentation and more on the functionality within the UI. Its discovery mechanism should be improved. There is a component in ServiceNow that discovers the assets, but it doesn't do an immediate discovery, and there is a lag. If I want to open a ticket for a laptop or an asset, that asset needs to exist within ServiceNow for me to be able to say that I need to have its disk space or memory increased. It is referred to as a CI or configuration item in ServiceNow. Sometimes, ServiceNow doesn't discover these items, and as a result, I cannot open a ticket and tag that system or asset. If a system was introduced to the environment last week and it is still not listed, it becomes a problem. I will either have to wait or manually enter that system or asset. So, if I have a laptop with only 8 GB of memory and I want to request 16 GB of memory, I won't be able to do that in ServiceNow because my system or asset hasn't been discovered yet. Discovery is not immediate, and there is a lag."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise having a close relationship with the people who are implementing it and staying on top of it. You should meet every day to address any problems that are encountered. I would rate ServiceNow an eight out of ten.
Gagan Pattanayak
Chief Revenue Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Oct 1, 2020
Improves our incident reporting and resolution, but the integration capabilities need improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is comprehensive reporting for our business and our regulators. We began by extending ServiceNow capabilities within IT, which gave us a clear understanding of what we could do with it, and then expanded from there. We had many business processes that ran on legacy systems and spreadsheets. That created unacceptable risk and cost. That means we can focus on core functionality rather than having to build all of the application scaffolding and platform capabilities by ourselves

• "ServiceNow gives us a lot for free: workflows, organizational structures, service portal, forms, reporting, disaster recovery, and so on."
  • "Integration capabilities can improve."
See 24 more ServiceNow Reviews