ServiceNow Overview

ServiceNow is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to BMC Helix ITSM: ServiceNow vs BMC Helix ITSM

What is ServiceNow?

Now, with the ServiceNow System of Action, every employee, customer, and machine can make requests on a single cloud platform. Every department working on tasks can assign and prioritize, collaborate, get down to root cause issues, gain real-time insights, and drive to action. Your employees are energized, your service levels improve, and you realize game-changing economics. Work at lightspeed.(TM)

ServiceNow Buyer's Guide

Download the ServiceNow Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

ServiceNow Customers

AAA, AstraZeneca, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Broadcom, Christus Health, Epicor, Equinix, GE Capital, Intuit, KPMG, Loyola Marymount University, OshKosh, Quantas, RedHat, Royal Bank of Scotland, Swiss Re, U.S. Department of Energy, Safeway, Yale University, and Zillow

ServiceNow Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ServiceNow pricing:
  • "I'm not aware of any additional costs. I'm pretty sure that the current client is paying just the licensing fee per user. I do know that they've got some support agreement with ServiceNow, but I don't think that is broken out or specific to Project Management. It is just inclusive."
  • "The pricing is on the high side, but if you look at the stability and option to work, it's kind of justified."
  • "$230 per user."

James Rountree
Senior Consultant at Rountree Technology Consulting, LLC
Solid, highly scalable, and has got all the features, but needs better reporting, a graphical interface for resource management, and the ability to turn on and off portions of Project Management

What is our primary use case?

Everything that I've done over the last six years with ServiceNow has been for hospital systems. It was used at different levels for different clients. Many times, it was being used by the whole organization, but my involvement has always been for the department projects. There was significant effort into reporting and dashboards and some automation for approvals. I am currently using its latest version.

• "Being able to have the required information for project management is valuable. I've got multiple people accessing it, and I'm tracking tasks with percentages done. It allows me to have detailed notes and provides the ability to attach documents. I have used a lot of project management solutions, and there were gaps in terms of what was available. ServiceNow has got all the features and functionalities. It is a solid solution. It is also easy to get into and use. It is certainly highly scalable."
  • "The reporting, which also includes dashboards, needs to be improved, and there should also be the ability to turn on and off portions of Project Management. Currently, as soon as you install the new version, you've got to go back there and make all the tweaks. There should be just a configuration file that goes to the new version.  The Project Management module does not leverage the knowledge base the way it should, and there is no built-in ability to get to the articles. Resource management should be easier. It would be amazing if they can make resource management a little bit more graphical. There are other solutions that I've seen where resource management was a more visual experience."

What other advice do I have?

I certainly would recommend it on a regular basis as a viable scalable project management solution. It is a solid solution. It has got all the features and functionalities I want. The lack of visualization of data, ease of implementation, and ease of configuration results in difficulty in training people, and it needs to be more visual and a little bit easier to configure and maintain. Currently, as soon as you install the new version, you've got to go back there and make all those tweaks. It is not all or nothing sort of thing. It is just a case of how much of the functionality done in a…
SK
Lead Program Manager (Enterprise Architecture) at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Unified platform with a real-time view of assets and performance, and the support is responsive

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for managing IT assets and business operations. We are also using it to help make better business decisions.

• "I really like what they've done with their common service data model because now I can make a connection between the business process and technology."
  • "The visuals are the one area where there is opportunity for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

To others who are interested in implementing ServiceNow, I would say, consider it for running your IT operations, but implement it capability by capability. This will allow you to see the big picture of what you're going to get at the end of it. You can't do a big bang approach on this. Rather, you have to be very deliberate in how you implement it. They have thought through it, and not just the whole domain in the platform but now they have connected it to the business side, the business needs and the processes, the work that people do down to the technology. I think that was missing a few…
Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NP
Market Data/Application Support - Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible, easy to use, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution just for our ticketing purposes to keep track of our incidents, projects, and tasks. We use it for internal projects, circuit routers, upgrades, keeping track of vendor contracts, et cetera. Basically, it's just a repository of everything that we do and to support our internal clients that deal with maintaining bookkeeping as well as providing the tickets, keeping track of projects, and stuff like that.

• "It's great for keeping everyone informed in the company - not just IT. Everyone becomes aware of change requests and incidents so the entire company is on the same page."
  • "Once a change request has been created once it's been approved and been submitted, there is no way to go in on that particular change request and submit an additional task."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. We are using the most recent version of the solution at this time. The product is well-versed, and it's simple to use - which is why I would recommend it. You've just got to know how you're going to organize or structure everything. Whoever's basically managing or deploying the software needs to map it out. They should be able to modify or scale it to the way they want it, however. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities. The flexibility and the ability to modify what you want are great - and, on top of…
CG
PM at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Good automatic workflows, excellent technical support, and has the capability to scale

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for tickets and we use it for order processing. We use the product for incident management, asset management, and service management. Those are the three big use cases. It's mostly asset management.

• "If you stick to the out-of-the-box solution, it's an easy setup."
  • "The licensing needs to be divided into tiers in order to attract lower-level users."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user. We are using the FAAS version of the solution currently. I would advised those companies considering the solution to take advantage of what the programs do rather rather than try to lift and shift. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall.
Tarun Arora
Consultant at HCL Technologies.
Has a good UI and workflow management, and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use it for interim problem change configuration, regress management, and knowledge management.

• "It is easily configurable and has a good developer society online, available for any issues from the backend."
  • "Vulnerability management could be improved. Also, integration with tools such as Microsoft Defender ATP needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

They have a lot of libraries available online. If you are planning to implement ServiceNow, you should first compare your current system with the online free developer instance from ServiceNow, which has all the features that are present in the licensed versions. I would suggest that you see if the added business is supported in ServiceNow so that when you implement the system, you can raise these special issues with the consultants. You should go ahead and create your own instances and see whether the system is working as expected and whether it suits your requirements. When you're…
Haresh Thevathasan
Senior Business Systems Analyst - Enterprise Methodology and Process Program Manager at Judicial Council of California
Fantastic out-of-the-box dashboards and reporting, great stability, and very user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, we use it for our service desk and IT help desk ticketing. We also have the PPM module. ServiceNow is our main PPM platform at the moment. We use the Idea Portal for project requests, and we are also in the process of installing the financial module. We're using the latest version of ServiceNow.

• "The Idea Portal and the PPM platform are most valuable. Their out-of-the-box dashboards and reporting are fantastic. I use them almost on a weekly basis. I have developed a couple of PMO dashboards for reporting. It is user-friendly. Everything is done through a navigation bar, and it makes things a lot easier that way."
  • "They can maybe improve the area of agile project management. They do have user storyboards and other things, but we kind of lean on Jira for that work. This is perhaps an area that could be looked at a little more."

What other advice do I have?

On the PPM side, I am quite satisfied with what is there. Apart from submitting tickets, I haven't used the ticketing system to its full functionality, so I can't really comment on that. We are quite satisfied with the tool. Its out-of-box reporting is quite balanced. We didn't require much customization when we deployed it. We did some customization, but we tried to stay out of the box as much as possible to make things easier for us. It has been working really great out of the box. If you have no experience in using it and if you are just deploying it, not migrating from another solution, it…
Senior Management Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Easy to integrate with other legacy systems and is constantly improving as a company

What is our primary use case?

IT Service Management

• "It's easy to integrate. For instance, yesterday we closed the integration with SAP for the IP business management module to manage the forecast of projects. We created an interface between ServiceNow and SAP to control projects for accounting and on the forecast of the project. It was really easy. We don't have any problems with ServiceNow at the moment. As a company, they are improving constantly."
  • "All the screens are similar. It's the same platform for everything and you need to familiarize yourself with it. In the past, you used to have one screen per application. Now, you have everything integrated into one. Everybody will manage the same screen and they need to navigate into the same screen as the Internet Explorer with a toolbar with the categories and look for the things you want to see or the models you want to use."

What other advice do I have?

Before you move forward with this kind of implementation, you need to make a cultural change in the organization to understand that the way you used to work is no longer a valid way to work and you need to work in an integrated way. If you do not adapt your mindset and make a real adoption of new and integrated methods, I would not recommend moving forward with the implementation of these kinds of solutions because it's totally integrated. In the next release, I would like to see more Spanish options available. I would rate ServiceNow a ten out of ten. I remember when was SAP created, it was…
Vinod Kanna
Software Development Manager & UX / UI enthusiast at Accelya World SLU
Detailed reporting and analysis are extremely beneficial as are all the management features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this product is for incident and change management. We are customers of ServiceNow and I work as a senior software development engineer.

• "Very good incident management, chain management and problem management features."
  • "Very expensive."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, it's really an excellent tool in comparison to the current market tools like SCP and a lot of other tools out there. I can rank it as number one. The price is the only factor which is an issue. Because of Covid, companies are thinking about how to reduce licensing costs. I've made a comparison between ServiceNow and other tools, and I'm not satisfied with the others. But licensing costs are so high that we sometimes have to go for other products for our customers. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10. If they would lover the price, I'd rate it a 10 out…
See 41 more ServiceNow Reviews