IBM FileNet Review

Provides the ability to do version control in the documents and to retrieve the history accordingly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are:

• The ability to do version control in the documents that are stored within the IBM FileNet solution.
  • To be able to retrieve the history accordingly.
  • To be able to work with those in a microservice environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The data can be integrated into a microservice architecture. It has allowed us to more deeply integrate the ECM or the FileNet solution into various aspects of our product, where we may need to provide user access to documents, that might be within FileNet. They don't need to open up a specific page or request mechanism to get to them. They can be embedded directly within the page itself or the app itself or within the context of whatever the user is doing. Thus, this just improves the overall efficiency and productivity of our organization.

We've actually had this solution since 2008, so we've had it for a long time; it's really not new to us.

The stability has been good.

Scalability is excellent and actually, it has been really great. It scales really well.

Previously, we were using just a file-based solution. It was not an equivalent solution and that was the reason as to why we moved over to IBM.

What other advice do I have?

It really comes down to our ability to work together so as to address the gaps that we may have, i.e., between what FileNet needs to offer and what we need.

Ensure that the product itself matches the needs in your particular vertical. There are a lot of ECM products in the market space today that actually will vertically integrate into a given space. Whether it's the insurance, banking, manufacturing or whatever vertical that you're talking about, these ECM products will customize into that space so heavily, that it may supersede the existing functionality that you may have today. It's important that you look into what is it that the vendor is trying to resolve. Is it really meeting the gaps that you have? Lastly, does it extend beyond what you need it to do? These are all important factors to consider before selecting a product.

We always look for the ability in our vendors to provide their products in an integrated manner or that it will be integrated into our product seamlessly. This really comes down to the level of the APIs that they present.

We look at various other factors before selecting a vendor, such as, Are the products themselves scalable and have they been tested out? What's the experience of the vendor in the space that we're in, i.e., for our specific vertical? Finally, we also look at the other customer recommendations.

More IBM FileNet reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about IBM FileNet. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.