IBM FileNet Review

Stability and integration with other platforms provide the environment I need

How has it helped my organization?

The thing I want most in my environment is to be able to work with a stable module like FileNet.

What is most valuable?

The important features to me are that it is stable, scalable, and the integration between this platform and other platforms is very good.

Also, FileNet is now introducing a newer client called IBM Content Integrator, so I think it's flexible.

Also migration. For example, if I want to move from my building to a new building, I have to move the physical server and everything would need to be changed, like network settings, etc. I think FileNet can handle this.

What needs improvement?

Many customers leave FileNet because of the licensing cost.

More than five years.

No, for the last 20 years I haven't faced any big stability issue.

I think FileNet can integrate with SharePoint, with Microsoft Office, with OpenText, so it can work with any other system.

When I face a big issue, I call IBM support and they are really helpful and their documentation over the internet can show you what you need, very well.

No, I didn't use anything before FileNet.

I would rate the installation process at about seven out of 10. It can be very complicated, and you need to to have an experienced resource.

The biggest issue is the cost of the FileNet, because the license cost is very high. If a customer doesn't have good technical guides that are aware of the license calculation, they will pay too much. FileNet's license calculation depends on the processor and number of users. So my advice to a new customer is to be very careful with your calculations before purchasing FileNet.

If you check the industry rankings, you can see that FileNet was the leader in the ACM category for four years in a row. Only in 2017 do you see that Microsoft SharePoint was the leader. I think that's because IBM doesn't offer new technologies every year, they offer new technologies after five years, for each release of the product.

What other advice do I have?

It's not an open source product, and IBM support is very good.