IBM FileNet Review

We probably would not have seen adoption so strongly without it

What is our primary use case?

It is our integrated document repository that we use in conjunction with Connections. It performs extremely well for us and has been very successful.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us a whole new environment to do document management and document storage. Before we used heavily used file servers and file shares, and now we are promoting the use of Connections. This has made Connections more successful for us.

What is most valuable?

The integration with Connections, where it is basically transparent for the end users, and very seamless. They can go ahead and store multiple tiered folders of documents in multiple tiered folders without any technical assistance of any kind. It is very user-friendly and easy for them to use.

What needs improvement?

Continuous work to continually refine and improve the user interface a bit, but it is basically pretty good. Therefore, I do not have any strong impressions of things that need to be changed.

A lot of people are familiar with the Microsoft interface and Windows. It becomes more intuitive if it somewhat mirrors Microsoft characteristics, but it is very usable as it is.

I am not aware of any recent issues. It is very stable for now.

Scalability is one of it strengths. It is growing pretty rapidly.

We have not seen any interruptions, and I am not aware of any scalability issues right now.

I have not personally contact them. I am sure there are some other people in the company that have, but I have not personally contacted them.

We were using the native files capability of Connections, and it was very limited. So, we were informed that this was an option, and it has pretty dramatically changed our use with the original Connections files option. We probably would not have seen adoption so strongly without it.

I would advise a little on the product early on, but I did not actually do the setup of the product.

The initial setup was a bit complex, but it is a very elaborate application. The people that I talked to said it was not extremely difficult. It took some work, but it was worth it.

I was involved in the decision-making process.

What other advice do I have?

It may be a little complex to implement and take some effort, but with the integration the way it is, it is worth the effort. Once it is in place, it is very stable.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Stability
  • Credibility.

We are using a lot of IBM products across our company. For the most part, they have a strong track record with us already.