Microsoft Windows Defender Review

Good management tools and good performance

What is our primary use case?

We use the public deployment model of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it's easy to deploy Microsoft Windows. The performance is good and the management tools are very good. We are quite happy with the solution.

In terms of the integration, the product itself sends information from its console and the console sends a lot of information into Microsoft Cloud and the Microsoft Cloud communicates with a lot of third parties.

What needs improvement?

The management console could be better. I remember the McAfee console, for instance, had a lot of features that can be done on the endpoint. The Microsoft managing console is simple. It's simple for everyday use. In the case that an incident occurs there is a lack of features. I'm not sure that the features that the console has are enough for us.

McAfee had a lot of modules related to informational systems like the firewall settings. There were a lot of features related to the programs that can be executed. Defender is not very evolved like that. They should develop similar features.

We deployed this solution around six months ago.

The stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

We require a couple of staff members for the maintenance of this solution.

Their technical support is very good and very quick.

In the past, years ago, I tried McAfee, Symantec, and Kaspersky. Kaspersky was a good solution. I have not followed those solutions for a couple of years. I don't know if the other solutions, McAfee or Symantec have evolved and are better.

The initial setup was straightforward and very easy.

The price is good because it is under a corporate agreement.

Licensing costs are on a yearly basis.

We did not evaluate any other solutions because I found that this is a very good product. We wanted to have a baseline. We reviewed the company with our solutions in order to decide.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is a good solution. It's not the best on the market, but it is a very good solution.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because it's a good solution but not perfect.